Which Wacom for 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kulfon, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Dear all,
    I have a dilemma. Yesterday wacom announced a new Intuos Pro with M and L sizes. I was considering the S size, but as we stand it is a 2-year old product. So which way to go? Maybe just wait as they might soon release the new S?

2. Richard Peters, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

I think it entirely comes down to your own preference with something like this.

For me, I've always used the Medium. I use it for photo editing in Lightroom (and general computer navigation, haven't used a mouse with my iMac since I started using tablets about 5 years ago) and it's the perfect balance between physical size on the desktop and usable space on the Wacom surface, with the amount of arm movement required by me perfect. However that's with the surface mapped to my 27" iMac.

I always found the Small too small and Large to...erm...large...! On a smaller screen, the Medium could feel to large I guess but like I say, only you'll know that.

Actually I was looking at the Pro a couple of days ago so that's handy they've just announced a new one!

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

I wish they announced the new S as well as, it would have been a no brainer for me

4. wmk macrumors newbie

wmk

For the photo editing /Photoshop, Lightroom, etc./ Small ones are usually large enough for a 15-inch laptop. But if you plan to use it for drawing, painting, etc., M size could be better -- but as Richard said above, it comes down to personal preference ; )

/Those new tablets look pretty cool, especially the Paper Edition with the 0.4mm thick Finetip pen -- I used to work as a graphic designer in 1990s and the only drawing tablets we had at that time were large and expensive Wacom devices, far from perfect...

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have the current version medium pro. If i had to do it again, i would probably get the large. But the next one i get will be the version you can edit on the photo directly (has built in memory).

6. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Got the S today and it is BIG for me, glad I did not go for anything bigger!

7. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I can help you - definitely no need to wait for S (don't think they plan on releasing one). The new M is now smaller in volume (smaller bezels) and is actually smaller than the 15" MBP (surface). It can fit in the 15" bag, unlike the previous generation.

Also note that a bigger active area will give you more precise and natural brush strokes - if you are using it to draw I highly recommend M size for 15". Heck, I am even considering the new L for my MBP, but I think I'll still go for the M, so it can fit in my bag.

Btw, I have extensive experience with Wacom tablets (both Intuos Pro and Cintiqs), own both an L and M model and use them with my 27" iMac and 15" MBP - so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Really excited about new Intuos tablets - bluetooth (finally), smaller bezels, aluminium build, replacable surfaces and 8K pressure pen - can't wait to get one!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    Oh, sorry, just saw this. Well, if you're happy with it - disregard what I said above and enjoy your tablet!

8. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I use a medium for photo editing on my 27" Mac Pro. For photo editing the medium is too big in my opinion. If I had it to do all over again I'd get the small. When I work on my photos I zoom in on the image and that gives me all the fine control I need from my Wacom. A smaller tablet means less wasted motion.

9. Garage Battle macrumors regular

Garage Battle

How you people do it without being able to draw on the screen is beyond me.

i have a 21" Ugee monitor that I use as my tablet.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Long long ago when the typical display size was 21", 9x12 tablets were a common size. Small tablets make fine grained work much more difficult. Zooming in isn't a good idea, because past 100% or so, you lose a lot of perspective for the image. I thought the 12x17 tablets were pretty great, but they're awkward to accommodate.

I think part of the problem in your case is that with a 27" display, there's no way you could come close to a 1:1 motion between tablet and screen (which is much more accurate once you get used to it), so it feels more convenient if everything can be done from the wrist.

11. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

You mean they are aluminium and not plastic?

12. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Well, bluetooth Intuos Wacoms exist already since a few years. I own one.
    Iirc since Intuos4.

13. aevan, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Wireless Intuos existed for a while, but you had to use the Wacom USB dongle.

This is the first time Wacom is using a BT solution - you no longer need a dongle. Just use your Mac's built in BT to connect. More convenient.

Edit: it seems I was wrong - there was a BT Intuos 4 called "Intuos Wireless". But the Intuos 5 and Pro use a wifi dongle. The latest one is BT, though and it uses BT 4.

--- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    The specs page says this: "Wacom Intuos Pro is built using premium materials such as black anodized aluminum and glass fiber composite resin." Not sure what the glass fiber composite is, and what parts are aluminium, but it certainly is a step up compared to previous plastic models.
    It's a skill you train - some people do it with ease, others have more trouble. I have owned two Cintiqs and several Intuos tablets, I also use an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Although my workflow is a bit different (I tend to zoom in more with Intuos tablets) - I can do equal work both on tablets and tablet screens.

Some people even prefer drawing on Intuos, because your hand doesn't cover the screen. Others prefer the Cintiqs. Most artists can use both with equal skill and prefer one or the other.

I like both - and was planning to get the new 16" Cintiq Pro, but these latest Intuos are so compact and have better wireless, so I think I'm going for a new Intuos instead. The M model will finally fit my Incase laptop bag :D
    For photo editing - I'd say you're good with S. But for drawing - even the L model is a bit too small for 27". I usually activate precision mode when working on the iMac, and I recently moved all my illustration work to my MBP for this reason. Drawing on a 15" with a M or L tablet is more precise. Not because of the screen itself, but because the size matches the tablets better.
    Exactly. The 27" screen is too big even for the L model. You can offset this by using either the precision mode, or decreasing the screen area in Wacom drivers.

Oh, and I'm talking about illustration. Drawing. Using the tablet just for photo editing - I think even the S model is fine.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It depends on the level of editing. Some of it benefits greatly from increased precision, especially if it involves a lot of difficult masking or fine detailing of some other kind. I don't recall precision mode. I decreased the screen area to compensate, but many people don't care for that solution.

15. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Yes, decreasing the screen area is one way. "Precision mode" does exactly the same. You can bind the precision mode on any express key on the tablet, what it does is decrease the active area on screen (represented by a white rectangle). You can set up the "level of precision" - which basically makes that rectangle bigger or smaller. The smaller it is, the more precision you get - as you use the entire tablet surface just for a small section of the screen.

Setting the precision mode to the lowest setting decreases the active area just a bit on the L model, and a bit more on the M, which is great for the 27" screen. I find that the M model doesn't need precision mode on a 15" MBP screen. L is almost overkill on 15" (the pointer moves too "slow"). Also, the precision area is automatically proportional to the tablet, so it helps.

The precision mode lasts until you cancel it. If you want a more permanent solution - decreasing the screen area manually is better.

16. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

I'm using the medium pro for home and work. Like it a lot. Never tried the small or large though.
    I use it on full screen area with 2x27" monitors.

I guess I would pick small if I only have one monitor.

17. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I could be mistaken, but I don't think you use it for drawing. Using it on two monitor screen area makes the proportions completely different, making it really hard to draw any circle. And it's too large for comfortable drawing.

Please note there is nothing "wrong" with using it on 2 monitors for certain workflows, but in case anyone reading this is thinking of getting a Wacom for illustration/fine drawing - an S model is just too small for a 27", and even the M is not really a good solution unless you limit the active area.

S model is ultraportable laptop model, but now with the latest M having a smaller footprint, it fits in most laptop bags. This is the reason Wacom seems to be phasing out the S "Pro" model (leaving that size for regular Intuos tablets).

Certainly, if you do not need this level of precision - the regular Intuos tablets will do just as well.

18. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

I don't use it for drawing. I use it with image retouching and editing. I know what you mean but I'm used to the proportion and I can't get used to the click to switch screen thing. I go screen to screen back and forth a lot.

19. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

20. campyguy macrumors 68040

No more small Wacom Pro tablets as far as I can see, only the two M and L form factors in the Wacom Pro, new Cintiq Pro/Paper, and MobileStudio Pro.

Yesterday, Dell announced the Canvas - https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/05/dell-canvas-monitors/ - I'll be checking it out. It works with the new Wacom styli and has 100% sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces - I'm thinking of this as a Cintiq XXL… :D