Which Wacom tablet/Drawing program is for me (and my operating system)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Codex, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Codex macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm new to the digital drawing world, and I need some advice on tablets and drawing programs.
    :confused:

About tablets- I want to get started on digital drawing, but you need a tablet. I have looked at all the Wacom tablets (Intuos or Bamboo line) and I'm not sure which one is for me. I'm new, so don't want to spend over $300 on it. Just too much. So, I need something towards the basic side, but not just the bare essentials. Remember- drawing. PS- I'm likely to buy a 'new' one on Amazon, just because they are cheaper there. They have all of the Wacoms.

About programs- Also, I need a good drawing program. People say Photoshop CS 4 or 5 is the way to go, but I'm not quite sure. Any one have any ideas on any programs and their price. I'm willing to stretch for this one as far as price, plus I know some people who can get me a lot of these programs through their work for less. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone :)

2. MACMAD08 macrumors newbie

Try Graphic Converter. Some say that it is better than photoshop. Defiantly a lot cheaper!

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

What do you intend to do? Graphics can mean many things...do you need a vector graphic program, or a photo retouch one? In the first case, the most complete is Illustrator, other possibilities, although inferiors in several ways, range from Intaglio, to the free Inkscape.
    Photoshop has many alternatives, some cheap, some others free at all, and quite useful, I'd say. Gimp, for instance, deserves a trial.

4. 3282868 macrumors 603

Personally, I have the Wacom Intuos4 (medium) and I love it for design work, although it takes a lot of getting used to at first. I use Adobe CS5 Photoshop, Illustrator for vector work and InDesign. If it's your hobby and you want to save $$$, I'd still recommend the Intuos4 - try eBay or other sources. The medium size is better, smaller work space becomes frustrating when the pen sensor runs off the display.

I just found a medium Intuos4 for $287.77 at zasale.com (they have a good rating from Google Products).

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

There are plenty of less expensive alternatives software wise, but if you're a pro, then Adobe CS4 or CS5 for Intel Mac's is the way to go.

If you need just drawing, Photoshop is not what you need, it's rector based and mainly for professional photo editing. Illustrator is a vector based program which is what you would need, and/or InDesign for bringing your designs together: illustrator graphics, flash swf's, etc.

5. degl macrumors member

degl

I have the Bamboo Pen & Touch and is really great, do a lot of digital retouching in Photoshop and After effects and work perfectly, and sometimes work with the laptop in Post studios so i can take it with me.

6. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

For drawing I think that Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is really nice. You will eventually want to move to Photoshop but as a starter Sketchbook Pro is good because of it's clean interface and is made especially for this.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I've been looking at the wacom bamboo pen and touch mixed with sketchbook pro as well. I use sketchbook on the iPad and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I really enjoy it so far and I downloaded the trial of the desktop version and I definitely want a wacom tablet now.

I only looked at the bamboo pen and touch and the intuos4, but the bamboo looked better for a beginning digital artist like me to make the switch from paper to computer. Hopefully I'll be able to test one out in a few months.