Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
um.... out of habit, i always delete all the apple wallpapers. i always use one of my own. but, having done that... i now have a black background when i boot up or log in (the login quickly changes to my current wallpaper).

can someone PM me, or upload the default wallpaper that's used for the boot wallpaper? and i promise not to delete it again....

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon

Attachments

• Mojave.jpg
    Mojave.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 196

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
thanks much! will reboot when i get a chance, see if my login background is back....

didn't fix it. so... anyone know which wallpaper (at least, the file name) is used on bootup?

thanx

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
thanks much! will reboot when i get a chance, see if my login background is back....

didn't fix it. so... anyone know which wallpaper (at least, the file name) is used on bootup?

thanx
I really don't know but if you go to the App Store you look for live wallpaper by squid melon it might be 99 cents I have been using it for years it will allow you to set the wallpaper that you like for desktop and login I use the metro theme it has a nice clock and date on my desktop

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I really don't know but if you go to the App Store you look for live wallpaper by squid melon it might be 99 cents I have been using it for years it will allow you to set the wallpaper that you like for desktop and login I use the metro theme it has a nice clock and date on my desktop

because i deleted all the default wallpapers, when i boot up my macs, it's a black screen until i sign in. so i need the wallpaper that shows on boot... thanx, tho...

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
because i deleted all the default wallpapers, when i boot up my macs, it's a black screen until i sign in. so i need the wallpaper that shows on boot... thanx, tho...
If should default to whatever wallpaper you are currently using on your profile. I always have my own wallpaper folder where I keep all of my custom wallpapers separate from the stock ones that come with the software and don't have this issue on the Mojave PB.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If should default to whatever wallpaper you are currently using on your profile. I always have my own wallpaper folder where I keep all of my custom wallpapers separate from the stock ones that come with the software and don't have this issue on the Mojave PB.

right, i have that. but, when i boot up, i now have a black screen; when i first installed mojave, it was the mountain image (one of them). once i get to the login window, i see my desktop background. isn't this what you're experiencing?

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
right, i have that. but, when i boot up, i now have a black screen; when i first installed mojave, it was the mountain image (one of them). once i get to the login window, i see my desktop background. isn't this what you're experiencing?
No on mine it goes straight from the Apple logo to the login screen with my wallpaper on the background.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
your screen is BLACK until the login window? no mojave image that changes to your wallpaper, at the login? anyone else? i could have sworn i saw a mountain until my wallpaper comes up...

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
From memory, macOS uses whatever background is set in the root account at the loginUI - although I don't know if this behaviour has changed with Mojave. Try enabling root and setting your background there

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
From memory, macOS uses whatever background is set in the root account at the loginUI - although I don't know if this behaviour has changed with Mojave. Try enabling root and setting your background there

it seems... simpler. the boot image was a mountain; i deleted all the HD>Library>Desktop Picture files, and... the mountain's gone. just trying to figure out which image needs to be found...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm. Mojave default desktop background is NOT a mountain, but a sand dune.

The default system image is named Mojave Day.jpg
That appears to be the same used as default for the login window. Don't think it is the Mojave Night. and likely NOT the animated background Mojave (Dynamic). Pretty sure the login screen is the Mojave Day.jpg background.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Mojave_Day.jpg isn't working... can't (yet) figure it out. but a: i don't reboot often, and b: i'll keep at it. right now, my (unscientific) theory is... the image comes from the dynamic desktop image. will post back IF i resolve this.

thanx all!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Mojave_Day.jpg isn't working... can't (yet) figure it out. but a: i don't reboot often, and b: i'll keep at it. right now, my (unscientific) theory is... the image comes from the dynamic desktop image. will post back IF i resolve this.
I'm looking at the file right now - the name is not Mojave_Day.jpg - it's entered as Mojave Day.jpg, so a space rather than the underscore.
I don't see the login screen as using the dynamic image. I have not seen the login screen change through the day. Seems pointless if the default is using the dynamic image, yet not "using" it?

Isn't that correct that File vault enabled shows a black login background? I don't use File Vault, at the moment, so no way to check that.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm looking at the file right now - the name is not Mojave_Day.jpg - it's entered as Mojave Day.jpg, so a space rather than the underscore.
I don't see the login screen as using the dynamic image. I have not seen the login screen change through the day. Seems pointless if the default is using the dynamic image, yet not "using" it?

Isn't that correct that File vault enabled shows a black login background? I don't use File Vault, at the moment, so no way to check that.

even with the name correctly entered... my screen is black (when i get to login with my name, and guest); once i click on my name, i see my (blurred) wallpaper.

will live with it for now (a lesson to, at least, back up system stuff before i delete!)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I guess I am the opposite of you. I accumulate background pictures. I have some from 2000, I think. Probably about 10 years ago, I started merging OS X default sets from OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) and later into one folder, and copied that folder to the various Macs that I have - kind of a worthless hobby, when I look back :D I probably keep ~ 500 pix in that folder.

Reactions: Dr. Stealth

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Why not just re-install OS on top of what's already there? Will get the correct images back, plists, db files, etc related with wallpapers, while preserving your settings.

Reactions: DeltaMac

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Why not just re-install OS on top of what's already there? Will get the correct images back, plists, db files, etc related with wallpapers, while preserving your settings.

because of some of the other things i've done (for example, replaced the location menu icon with a blank one, etc etc)...
and it's not urgent.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't know if you know that in the CoreServices system folder there's an alias to the Default desktop wallpaper - so I assume just by creating an Alias to the Mojave Day desktop wallpaper inside the CoreServices folder you'll have the login image back - on High Sierra choosing Show Original it highlights the "High Sierra.jpg" wallpaper. Call the alias "DefaultDesktop.jpg"

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I don't know if you know that in the CoreServices system folder there's an alias to the Default desktop wallpaper - so I assume just by creating an Alias to the Mojave Day desktop wallpaper inside the CoreServices folder you'll have the login image back - on High Sierra choosing Show Original it highlights the "High Sierra.jpg" wallpaper. Call the alias "DefaultDesktop.jpg"

good idea. did not work. i tried several things: pointing the alias in core services to the 'correct' image in desktop pictures. making an alias of 'DefaultDesktop' and putting it in coreservices. removing the 'DefaultDesktop.heic' alias already there.

am spending way too much time on this, and will (now happily) enjoy the black login screen; once i click on my name, all is well.... thank u!

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Check "reduce transparency" isn't checked in the accessibility settings. Happened on its own to me when my login background changed to a solid colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.