Which Watch color is easiest to dress up/down for any occasion?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacEnCheese, Sep 29, 2018.

1. MacEnCheese macrumors newbie

Will be ordering 44mm AW S4 pretty soon, but haven't decided which color to get. I have gone thru some other threads asking for color advice and have looked at pictures in Show Your Watch thread. I am torn between Aluminum SpaceGray, SS Silver and SS Gold. I dont need the cellular feature, but I need to pick a color which I could easily buy third party bands for to dress it up or down for any occasion. This will be my primary watch and I will be wearing it to office, formal events, casual hangouts, dates, parties, gym and bed.

Looking at the pictures of bands on AppleWatch website and Amazon, I think SS Silver can go with most color bands but so does SS Gold it seems like. Can someone share an advice from experience?

BTW, I am a man if it matters to know.

2. Tovenaar macrumors member

I have the Series 2 in stainless steel and I find it easy to dress down and up. It's easily the more versatile color.

Now that I'm getting the Series 4, I'm leaning towards the Space Black Stainless Steel. You're more limited in band colors (most of the sports bands work well, not so much the leather), but I'm now feeling that black is where the Apple Watch really shines (figuratively speaking).

With Stainless Steel, it always felt like it was pretending to be something it's not (i.e. a luxury watch).

I hope I didn't confuse things further!

3. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Silver SS, IMO. It has the most band versatility.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I see this question asked quite frequently, and really it’s any color that you want for the Apple Watch you can dress up or down. Depends on the style/color bands that you like. The silver aluminum is most popular because it’s basically limitless what you pair with it. But again, really depends on your style, how you carry yourself and what bands you like.

5. MacEnCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right. SBSS looks quite premium with whatever few bands it can go with. I am quite digging the look of Gold SS, but I dont know it will be as versatile as Silver SS. How well does GSS go with leather bands? Haven't found any pictures of the combination yet.

6. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Gold SS looks really good with dark leather bands like the dark leather loops.

7. jsd79 macrumors member

I went from a space gray aluminum to a silver aluminum. Just needed a change. I thought the black lugs on my small collection of bands would bother me when paired with the silver, but I find I’m actually liking the dark-light contrast.

8. Hedberg, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

Hedberg macrumors member

I think the GSS is very easy to dress down and up (although the SS is as well). I use the forest green leather loop with my GSS when I want a more casual look and the milanese loop when I want to dress it up - it looks fantastic! :) Have to agree with wineandcarbs, dark leather colors goes great with the GSS.

9. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

10. Hedberg macrumors member

Good looking straps! Anyone having any luck finding good quality gold lugs for the GSS yet? I need one for my saddle brown leather buckle, but can’t seem to find matching lugs.

11. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

I haven’t seen gold lugs with bands just yet. Give it a little more time as it’s a new color for stainless.

However you can buy gold lugs and use any standard 24mm or 22mm band. Here is a link from Amazon for just the lugs. There are many styles and companies that make/sell lugs.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742B8QDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XzpSBbK9NR9DE

12. srshaw macrumors 6502

Ive ordered silver ss simply because currently have a silver s0 and I've acquired quite a few bands (such as Milanese) that wouldn't really go with any other colour.

If it wasn't for this, I'd probably gone black ss.

13. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

14. MacEnCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. GSS is pretty versatile. Would you know if all these bands are from Apple itself or from 3rd party?

Apple's bands are quite expensive and collecting them is like buying lenses for DSLR camera. Once you collect a few of them, you really get tied into particular color of future apple watches. I will be buying cheap to moderately expensive bands from 3rd party sellers that I could replace if next year I go with different color watch.

15. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I think it’s a mix. The leather are third party I believe (post on reddit). You can tell the lugs are regular SS, which bugs my ocd. But it’s honestly hard to tell.

16. MacEnCheese thread starter macrumors newbie

When I posted the question, I was leaning towards Silver SS, but after watching the video above, I am heavily biased towards Gold SS. Gold SS looks much more premium and can go well with leather and darker bands. I will just have to make sure I buy bands with black lugs for now. BTW, how easy is it usually to change a band's lug/adapter between black/silver?

Just tried placing my pre-order at B&H to save on tax cost in CA, but their checkout is offline till Tuesday. Any other online store recommendation to pre-order from other than B&H which doesn't charge tax in CA?

17. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Apple watch is widely accepted and unless it is a formal event, people won't really care.

Attached Files: