Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I've read three ways to get a brand spanking new HD into a Mac.

1) Remove the OLD HD, install the NEW HD, connect the OLD HD externally, install OS X onto the NEW HD from the recovery of the OLD HD, use migration assistant to transfer data.
2) Connect the NEW HD externally, carbon copy the OLD HD to the new HD, switch the HD out.
3) Install the NEW HD, install an OS, restore from HD from Time Machine backup.

Which way is better in terms of performance? In terms of being fool proof? Are there other methods?

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
UK
Disclaimer: I've never done this!

I would use the 2nd option, set it as the boot disc and test it before performing any surgery. That way you don't take the old one out until you know you have a working replacement ready.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The fastest and fewest steps is not listed.

Option 4) Install new HD, boot from old HD in external case, use CCC to clone old to new.

This avoids swapping the new HD in and out of the external enclosure and leaves the old HD in the enclosure where you can now repurpose it.

Comment

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
The fastest and fewest steps is not listed.

Option 4) Install new HD, boot from old HD in external case, use CCC to clone old to new.

This avoids swapping the new HD in and out of the external enclosure and leaves the old HD in the enclosure where you can now repurpose it.

This is how I have always done it. Hasn't gone wrong yet (except for old PPC machines that couldn't boot from USB).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.