Which way is better to data transfer for new HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DockMac, Mar 22, 2013.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

I've read three ways to get a brand spanking new HD into a Mac.

1) Remove the OLD HD, install the NEW HD, connect the OLD HD externally, install OS X onto the NEW HD from the recovery of the OLD HD, use migration assistant to transfer data.
    2) Connect the NEW HD externally, carbon copy the OLD HD to the new HD, switch the HD out.
    3) Install the NEW HD, install an OS, restore from HD from Time Machine backup.

Which way is better in terms of performance? In terms of being fool proof? Are there other methods?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

CCC is the fastest because you don't need to install an OS first, performance wise they are all similar since you copy the old stuff back.

3. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Disclaimer: I've never done this!

I would use the 2nd option, set it as the boot disc and test it before performing any surgery. That way you don't take the old one out until you know you have a working replacement ready.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The fastest and fewest steps is not listed.

Option 4) Install new HD, boot from old HD in external case, use CCC to clone old to new.

This avoids swapping the new HD in and out of the external enclosure and leaves the old HD in the enclosure where you can now repurpose it.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

This is how I have always done it. Hasn't gone wrong yet (except for old PPC machines that couldn't boot from USB).