Which way to go? (macbook question)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by booth22, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. booth22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    #1
    Looking to pick up a laptop to go with our new iMac- the old PC laptop served us well but it is several years old and needs replacing. My choices are..

    a refurb blackbook from the apple store - $1049 and I'll upgrade the RAM myself for a few bucks

    Get a new blackbook with education discount...

    or hold off until early June and hope an updated macbook comes out- and/or buy a mac get an ipod deal.

    We can probably hold off until early June, but needing something by then for a trip we're going on.

    Trying to get the best bang for the buck- price on the refurb is good, but not sure if we'd be better off waiting until June assuming something new will pop up then. Mostly use the computer for travel/underwater photography processing/editing. Any suggestions?
     
  2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #2
    i would say if you need it now than buy it
    that price on the refurb is good, you will get a good use out of it from now till whenever the new one comes out
    and the new one will prolly not even be that much better anyway
     
  3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #3
    I say wait as long as you can.

    Keep an eye on the refurb store for as long as you can for any deals which really stand out but wait for as long as possible for a new release.
     
  4. booth22 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    #4
    I can wait until early June if need be, just wondering if you guys think the updated version at the new price (hopefully not too much of an increase, if any at all) is worth it in relation to the current set-up or a refurb at the $1049 price. Haven't purchased a refurb, but I'm assuming they're a safe option to go with.
     
  5. tmelvin macrumors 6502

    tmelvin

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    #5
    I'm in the same situation. I don't really need it now, but want it now...lol

    Refurb store had a white Macbook yesterday; 2.0 GHz, 80GB HDD, 1GB MEM for $799!!! I should have scoffed it up, but waited. I didn't know about the "Back to School" specials, so I'm going to wait as long as I can for that. A new rev, plus maybe some $$$ off, or a free Nano or something...that would be sweet!!! mmmmmkay
     
  6. nidserz macrumors 6502a

    nidserz

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Location:
    Dubai x Toronto
    #6
    im in the exact same situation!

    got a macbook in jan and then returned it in anticipation for an update in feb. update was faster, bigger HD which was good but didn't want to switch OS during school year. now heard MB might get a facelift...i dont need one now (i think i can survive on my hp)...i really liked the white plastic that screamed "look at me i have a mac" but also have read waaaaaaaaay too many stories about discoloration/oily keys and cracking! when i first heard the rumours of macbook going aluminum i was like nooooo, but now i really am starting to like the look of the macbook pro, etc. one day i feel like im going to take the plunge when school is done (11 days) and the next im telling myself im going to wait.

    let the waiting games begin! longest 2 months of my life coming up! LOL! plus the education discount is great and the free ipod deal!

    like others have said... it is most likely to get upgraded so if you can wait then wait even though its going to be really hard if you reallly want one right now like i do! we can wait together haha and vent (sorry^^)!

    anyways let us know what you decide!
     
  7. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

    cheekybobcat

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    Location:
    U-S of A
    #7
    This is what I would do; or at least wait for the MacBook to be updated. Then, you can either get a better new MacBook or the previous (current right now) for a even better price since it has been updated.

    As long as you can wait, you really can't lose.
     
  8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #8
    I think it would be impossible (or next to) that apple would release new MB in June after having recently updating them... how can they justify it??? go for it, or wait till the first penryn refurb appears and jump at it...

    you cant spend your life waiting for updates.... if you're on the boat, well good, and if you just missed it, life moves on.
     
  9. jamie329 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2005
    #9
    A Macbook update is June is extremely optimistic. I doubt it'll happen until after summer at the earliest.

    Also, the next update will probably be major, so you're essentially looking at a rev A product. You need to decide whether you want to deal with the potential problems that come with a rev A product, or get a tried and tested model right now, and wait for all the bugs to get worked out of the new models before investing in one. Keep in mind, you can always resell whatever you buy for a pretty decent price, especially when you paid the education price.

    If you have the money, buy it. Otherwise you're just gonna continually be waiting for the next big thing.
     
  10. jamie329 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2005
    #10
    Except for all the time you've lost not having a Macbook. There's always going to be a better/cheaper version on the horizon.
     
  11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #11
    Wait wait wait while life goes by. Sounds like a plan!
     
  12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Denver Colorado
    #12
    Apple updated the MacBook Pros twice in one year and I highly expect them to with the MacBooks. They don't need to justify it, it's what computer manufacturers do.

    I bought my MBP last July just after they were updated in June. I think it was 6 months later when they were updated again. Technology moves forward and they have to keep up.
     
  13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #13
    Wait, what's the problem again? :confused:

    You have money for a machine now, but you want to wait just in case something slightly faster comes out.... okay.... 3 months isn't a long wait I guess. But what if nothing comes out? Then you have to go on the trip with no computer, adding to the hatred that you have for Apple's road map.

    Next thing you know, there are 50 billion threads about why Apple should have a new MacBook out, and how they are thieves for charging full price for old tech and yadda yadda yadda.....

    Or you rip your hair out reading the rumors of the new MacBook that is going to give you everything you want and more for $999 and you can stretch the 13.3" display up to 17" if you wanted to and yadda yadda yadda.

    Or, you can buy one now for the discount, and when the new ones come out you can marvel at how wonderful they are, then think to yourself: "I am glad I bought one 3 months ago, because now I can use it, and in two years when I am ready for an upgrade, the MacBook will be SWEET.

    And let all of the Rev A users suffer at faulty power connectors, yellow screens, and whistling audio and fans. :D
     
  14. Masters macrumors newbie

    Masters

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #14
    I say go for it!!!

    Well, I thought I was in the same boat as you, but I changed my mind. I know what I'm going to do.

    I currently have NO computer whatsoever. I sold my custom built PC after a 3 year relationship. I've never owned a Mac in my life but am completely drawn to them.

    I want a Macbook for school and I need a desktop for my home. In all actuality, having a laptop is a convenience. But a desktop is a necessity for me to do my reports and presentations.

    So, that being said, I don't think the iMac will be getting a face lift anytime soon so I'm going to go for the 24" iMac refurb and wait it out to see if the Macbook really does get an upgrade. If it doesn't I'm shooting for a Penryn regurb Macbook 2.4 ghz. Oh yeah baby!!

    This way I'm not stuck with no computer whatsoever. Genius right?
     
  15. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #15
    I was/am in the same situation as you. I was really tempted by teh blackbook refurd but with all these rumors, I'm definitely going to wait until June and WWDC. Hopefully the new redesigns will be sweet and you could get the free ipod deal if they do that too this summer. My advice is wait. If they redesign new macbooks you'll be happy you did wait.
     

Share This Page