Which way to go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AJ.G, Apr 2, 2011.

1. AJ.G macrumors member

Just when i thought i was set on the Macbook Air, i checked out a review about the new Macbook Pro 13" and i realised how many bells and whistles, aswell as improvements, i can get, for possibly cheaper.
    I'd be using my new mac for the usual, iTunes, Chrome, Safari, Word Processing, but most importantly, or the decisive fact, Photoshop and Illustrator CS5. Now from checking out mroogle, and Macrumors threads, i came to the conclusion that the MBA would be just about adequate for my needs. But then i realised how much more comfortable, and just for peace of mind, id be with a Macbook Pro. i think i went into buying an 11" ultimate for the wrong purposes.

My two options would be:
    Macbook Air 11" Ultimate-
    1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage

which comes to a grand total of 10648HKD/8,965.10 CNY/1,368.99 USD

OR

Macbook Pro base 13"-
    2.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

which would come to a grand total of 10648HKD/8,965.10 CNY/1,368.99 USD

so for the same price i get double the RAM, some ridiculous amount of better processing power, which if im correct, is necessary for photoshop, aswell as is the RAM. I also get just under 3 times the storage capacity, which also adds to the peace of mind, plus i get a bigger screen size to work with.

Aswell as an SD card, thunderbolt, and disc drive.

What im losing is the SSD and thinness of the macbook air. The thinness isnt all that important, because i find the MBP to still be rather portable, and the SSD, whilst it is lightning fast and everything, it doesnt quite compensate for the processor difference.

i think im pretty much set on the MBP, and i know that i should buy aftermarket RAM, its just i dont know where to buy the screwdrivers, so if anybody could give me heads up to either a link for the screw drivers, and possibly RAM? that would be great!

Also, any recommended sleeves/ bags? i dont want to put a case, for i find them ugly, but a sleeve would be nice.

So do you guys think i should go MBP or MBA?

Am i missing anything?
    If anybody wants to share their experiences between picking between the MBA or MBP feel free to share. I want to see what others think.

all the best,

AJ--

P.S. im a student, and this is all my money, which ive been saving for the last year.

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

3. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

I would try both out, if possible. Some people have other macs and airs and end up using the air more because the ssd makes the experience that much nicer. Of course, you always upgrade the pro to a ssd later.

I personally would go for the pro - I'd look to possibly replace the hd with ssd at a later point, when more money is available, if the ssd is important. Also, the faster processor and additional ram will make it more future proof, in case your computing demands increase in the future.