Which Way to Go

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonzomn, Apr 5, 2011.

1. gonzomn macrumors newbie

I'll show my age, but our first computer was a Apple II. Stayed with Mac through the Mac II Si, then went the PC route. I'm looking at getting back to Macs & need some advice on which way to go if they both cost the same.

Option 1 - On our local Craigslist is a Macbook Pro 17" 3.06 processor, 8GB ram, 500GB drive, matte screen. Has AppleCare for another 2 years & misc software & accessories.

Option 2 - Hold out & find a Macbook Pro 15" with an i7 processor.

Going to be using the MBP for general computing & for Photoshop for my photography hobby.

Any inputs or thoughts on which way to go & why would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Well it depends. If you want to use the laptop specifically as a desktop replacement that can go with you get the 17in but if you are looking for more portability I would defiantly get the 15in. Both should be able to handle all of what you throw at it with ease.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The first option isn't a terrible idea, especially for photo work and if you get a decent price.

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

yeah id recommend the 15". just because it sounds like you dont need the 17" screen or the graphics that it comes with. And the 15'' is just a little big more portable. My 15 is just fine for my desktop replacement and id never go bigger or smaller. Like as mentioned earlier both of these will be able to breeze through what youre going to throw at it so cpu power isnt really a matter here its more of how big of screen you want! id say go 15, i love it!

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

With your interests and intended use, it's about size and price. Both will easily handle what you want to do. Even a 13" would have no problem whatsoever. How much are you looking to spend?

6. gonzomn thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of the use would be at home, while watching TV, in the back yard on the patio, etc, but would also want to bring it along on vacation or business trips.

Think I can get the 17" for about $1,500.

7. sbbluewater macrumors member

I went with the 15" 2.0 2011 and love it! 15" is a great size and trade-off between screen size and portability. Use for light Photoshop as well.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That sounds like about what it's worth, so definitely worth a look.