Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Been thinking getting a WD MY Passport portable backup disk but I'm not sure which version. Any suggestions? I have a 2010 13" Macbook Pro.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I just bought the WD My Passport SE 1TB, I use the Time Machine backup and it works great. I haven't used the WD Backup software though.

It also supports USB 3.0 so it's fast, but currently bottle-necked by the speed of the standard sun ports.

You might want to fork out the extra cash for the Go-Flex though, because when it's out you'll be able to use the thunderbolt port adapter. I'll end up re-buying the Go-Flex once it supports thunderbolt for sure.

Last edited:

gooch3265

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I've got a WD Passport Studio. Supports USB 2.0, but more importantly FW400/800.

Works seamlessly with Time Machine. Can be partitioned for Windows (so you can run Windows 7 Ultimate's backup software for your Windows partition).

Seems to be the best WD solution until some Thunderbolt support comes along...

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I took a look at the WD Passport Studio and it seems to be just what I want, except that it doesn't come in a 1TB version. That's very disappointing.

gooch3265

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Depends upon your needs I guess. The 640GB does the trick for me. I keep a MyBook World Edition II at home and use the Studio on the road. The World Edition II is the weak link because it is so slow (100MBit ethernet is the speediest connection method).

A MyBook Studio (desktop) would supplement a Passport if both combined are within your budget.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The thing is I would like to have at least 1TB of storage and faster speeds than USB 2.0 can provide. My Macbook Pro doesn't support USB 3.0 but does have Firewire 800. And I like the idea of a portable drive that doesn't require an external power source.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Been thinking getting a WD MY Passport portable backup disk but I'm not sure which version. Any suggestions? I have a 2010 13" Macbook Pro.

I've got one of these for Time Machine on my MacBook Pro:

Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Silver)

The WD passports do not have Firewire support anymore.

Look at the table on the Amazon page for the WD drives (about midway down).

The Seagate ones do have Firewire support, although you need to buy an additional cable . Not worth it IMO. USB 2.0 isn't unreasonably slow.

That's not completely true, Western Digital's My Book/My Passport external hard drives made for Mac's that are under the Studio name have Firewire.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
So now I see that Western Digital just released a newer version of the portable MY Passport Studio line. And apparently they got rid of the display. To bad because I kind of liked the idea of having that.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
So now I see that Western Digital just released a newer version of the portable MY Passport Studio line. And apparently they got rid of the display. To bad because I kind of liked the idea of having that.

I'd go for the new one. It has a FireWire port which is much faster than USB. The new one is so sexy as well :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.