Which web browser is the most battery friendly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by logicstudiouser, Jun 1, 2015.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I have been a loyal Google Chrome user, but I have found it to be a major battery drain, so I am looking to switch.
    How does Firefox or Safari compare with Chrome for web browsing and battery life? What about Opera? Never used that, but I have heard some like to use it.
    Which do you recommend?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Safari on OS X, definitely. There are a lot of optimisations, especially battery life, that Apple have carried out on it. You'll 100% get the best use of resources if you use Safari. Just be sure to shut down your computer at least every couple of days with the option 'Reopen windows when logging back in' disabled, as there are a few issues with Safari gestures not working correctly when there's a large uptime.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari on OS X has an advantage here as it's optimized for the latest OS X out of the gate, whereas the other browsers have to iterate a few times (or more) before they catch up. This is because Apple makes Safari and OS X, so they know how best to optimize for power consumption. That's the advantage of integration.

4. tinapanpan macrumors newbie

tinapanpan

Safari is the best choice. Apple make Safari.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Never found leaving Safari open an issue, is it only certain gestures???

6. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser