Which webcam works?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MRrainer, May 3, 2014.

1. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Hi,

having recently acquired a MacMini and no TB display, I find myself in need of a webcam. Additionally, as my mother's iMac broke and was replaced by a Mini, too, she needs a webcam (and a mic) even more than me to talk to the rest of the family ;-)
    I read various threads but because of conflicting reports, I'm left wondering:

Which non-Apple USB webcam supports both FaceTime and Skype under Mavericks?

I don't care spending a couple of bucks on 3rd-party software to adjust settings, I'd however be very unhappy having spent 50 or more bucks for something that doesn't work at all, or on only half the software I need.
    I'm eyeing either the Logitech C270 or C310 or the cheap MSFT Lifecam 3000.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use the Logitech C920 for FaceTime and it works great. It's also compatible with Skype as well.

3. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

I have to second the Logitech C920. It's just a fantastic webcam. It's worth the price. Facetime, Skype and google hangouts work great.

Don't worry that Logitech doesn't list support for OS X. OS X will recognize the cam. Logitech also has an app in the app store called Logitech Camera Settings that can let you adjust the zoom, brightness, contrast, etc. It's pretty basic but does the job.