Which will be better, iMac or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cranka, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Cranka macrumors newbie

Hey guys, since I can get the two computers for about the same price using an educational discount... should I go for the 3.06 iMac or the baseline quad core mac pro?

My major is requiring on me to have a bit of power in my step, but being in school is taking a tole on my wallet and bank account.

I go to school for video/film so editing is a big part of my work loads.

So question is... will the iMac suffice well, or should i throw up a couple hundred extra and get the mac pro?

Is there going to be a big difference in only having the quad vs the oct MP as well? The programs i'm planning to use the most are the adobe's and FC studio 2. I'm not planning to do any 3D type of animation or graphics, which is why i'm thinking that an oct core really isn't needed of me.

input?

2. grue macrumors 65816

For REAL video editing get the Pro.

For iMovie and stuff, get the iMac.

3. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Go for the mac pro, its a real desktop for real video editors, not a big laptop for peoples home use.

4. Bob70011 macrumors newbie

Bob70011

What would real be? Like, physical reality real? What exactly falls into the terms of real?

5. Cranka thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i've been leaning a lot more towards the mac pro... and do to my wallet I'm leaning a lot closer to the quad core compared to the oct.

Will i see a major bump in performance if i go with the 2.93 quad compared to the 2.66 quad?

6. grue macrumors 65816

If you're getting paid to do it, you'll probably need more than iMovie will do. Since Final Cut is actually reasonably-well coded it can take advantage of more than 2 cores, so the Mac Pro becomes worthwhile.

7. grue macrumors 65816

Also, this.

8. Cranka thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm thinking what he meant by real is meaning a video that you need to turn in for work, school or portfolio type use, not a home movie or a trash video to throw up on youtube.

9. Cranka thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... looking the prices over...

I know i want the 4870 in the tower. In my PC i have a 4850 right now, so keeping that power is key.

If I get the 2.66 quad i will be saving money, but then i start to think about upping it to the 2.93 quad instead. This will take the price up to be just under the base line for the oct core 2.26.

I'm still leaning towards the 2.66 quad compared.

Will there be a significant gain in power from the 2.66 to the 2.93... and while at it... is there going to be that much more of a jump from the 2.93 to the 2.26 oct core. If I get the oct... there's no way i'll be able to warrant the 4870 in my budget at this time... But when looking at working in video... I almost feel as though an oct core computer isn't even needed.

any thoughts or suggestions on this?