Which will benefit performance more?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SirJ, Mar 27, 2009.

1. SirJ macrumors member

Hi

Currently I'm using a powerbook G4 (17-inch). It's a great computer and very durable, but it's slower than you know what. This is especially a problem in safari when switching through tabs.

I'm looking at getting a new notebook and want to make sure this problem NEVER COMES BACK!!!

Thus, my question is:
    Which would improve performance (like switching through 10-15 tabs in a browser) more? More RAM or a faster hard drive (SSD)

Thanks

2. Steeph28 macrumors newbie

I would go with increasing the amount of RAM on your computer. Applications, whether it be Firefox or Final Cut will have improved performance when there is more memory available for it to use.

3. polska9 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.113 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Ram is the answer!

4. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

RAM will make a difference. A slow hard drive though will be a killer too. Remember, RAM is loaded with data from the HDD when applications first start (right? that is the assumption I am under).

I have recommended to anyone to do BOTH. You can probably get both for under 250USD.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It depends, how much RAM is in your computer now? I recently upgraded my Mac Pro's RAM and hard drives. I replaced hard drive bay 1, which has all my applications on it, with a 200GB SSD. It cost be quite a bit to do this upgrade, about $600, but it beats buying a new computer. I also upgraded the RAM by maxing it out with 32GB. My Mac Pro runs so fast now, I can open Final Cut Pro in about 3 seconds now, it used to take about 40 seconds. Before I did the RAM upgrade and only have the SSD in it only took about 6 seconds, so I think the SSD made a huge difference.

David

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

RAM > SSD in this case, for sure.

The only time the SSD would benefit more, is when you need really quick read/write times for what you're doing.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Agreed.

David

8. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Upgrade the RAM, maybe get an SSD after to boost the performance even more!