Which will have better battery life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rneglia, Sep 12, 2016.

?

Which of these Apple Watches will have better battery life?

1. Series 1, 38"

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Series 2, 38"

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

2. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Don't buy old hardware. Buy the new AW 2. Don't be a cheapskate!

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Hard to say. Larger battery on series 2 but GPS is likely to be hard on battery life so it could go either way.

4. Julien, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The OP is asking about the Series 1 or Series 2. What is the "old hardware" you are referencing?

In answer to the OP probably the Series 2 but if you use GPS it would probably a wash or worse (depending on how much).

5. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

No. AW2 use only GPS, if you use an Applicacion who needs GPS. If you use to much GPS based applications, you use your watch wrong, if you want to save battery. It's the users fault, not Apples.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

WHAT????:eek::eek::D:rolleyes:

7. rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

Price is not an object. Just worried GPS in Series 2 will hurt the battery life.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The gps, I imagine, will never be active unless you make it so. And if you make it so you are doing this on your own free will.

I'd say both devices will have identical battery life. Series one is just less capable. If you decide to use those capabilities in the series two, the series two will have drained more battery by virtue of you utilizing s battery powered feature series 1 is incapable of.

TL;DR: if you don't use god to track runs and other such activity they should be identical in battery life.

9. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

10. Bob190, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Bob190 macrumors 6502

Either way .. you are going to have to charge it every day. Just accept that fact and then you never have to stress about battery life again. It's no different than your phone in that regard.

Battery life is spec'd the same for either model.

11. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I wonder if you can turn of the GPS of the AW2 and let it use the iPhones GPS like on the AW1.
    That way, you could only turn it on, if you want to run without the iPhone.

Even better would be a "only use internal GPS if no iPhone is present" option.
    Unless they already programmed it that way.

12. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Guess we'll know only when the first Aw2 will be shipped ...

13. rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

This is well said. That's why I am going to wait for benchmarks to come out before I buy. (But I'll probably get the Series 2) :D

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

This is exactly how it works. Read it in some review yesterday. (Sorry, don't remember which one)

So if your Phone is always in range, the GPS won't hurt your battery, since you're not using it.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's also worth noting that the gps isn't going to just start draining the battery. It has to actually be in use. And it's not going to be in use unless you choose to use it. You could literally buy this device and ever use gps and this would ever have it effect your battery life in any way.

16. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

The GPS will only be utilized if your phone is not nearby AND you begin a running/cycling/skiing/etc activity on the watch.

17. mrdee0 macrumors newbie

Same here. I have no use for a GPS system, and so battery life is more important. So if AW2 can have its GPS manually switched off, and so be able to last longer than AW1 due to its larger battery then I shall get the AW2.

18. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is kind of an irrelevant question. And it also requires additional information.

It is a non-question in that the life will highly likely be materially indifferent for a single-day use. And, it will not get you through a second day. So, you will be charging the device daily no matter which you choose.

Will you be working out with the watch or swimming with it? If so, the battery life question is moot-- get the watch with GPS and better water resistance.

How much of a factor is your budget? If budget is a consideration, get the Series 1.

19. GlobeZ macrumors member

GlobeZ

Wow I hadn't seen this feature mentioned.... I know God is supposed to be omnipotent, but still, nice one Apple !!! :cool:

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My autocorrect is constantly correcting "gps" to "god" :(