which win 7 works with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Andyx, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Andyx macrumors newbie

I know this is probably an old thread but i was wondering which windows 7 am i supposed to buy to use with bootcamp. I know that it is not possible to use a windows 7 upgrade disk, and i think you cant use a OEM either so can someone link me what i am supposed to buy? Cheapest edition

2. itsaldwin macrumors newbie

3. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

OEM is the same as the retail, only it doesn't come in a fancy box and is the version that comes with a new PC. It'll work just fine, although it isn't completely legal, which means retailers aren't supposed to sell you an OEM-version without a PC to go with it :p

4. Andyx thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you have an activation code, you can just download an official full version ISO from the internet, burn it to a DVD, and install from that. My college gave me a free Windows 7 upgrade, but since I have a Mac I needed a full version. I just used the activation code they gave me and downloaded a full ISO from somewhere else and it worked.

6. Andyx thread starter macrumors newbie

So your saying if I have an upgrade code it works with a full download?

7. jason221 macrumors 6502

Mine did.

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

NewEgg, Amazon, Microcenter, Frys.

McKay is not completely correct.

The OEM license states:
    • You have to build the system it's going on
      (It can't be a pre-built Apple, Dell, ect.)
    • You have to provide support for that system
      (Microsoft provides no support whatsoever)
    • System has to be sold to a third party
      (You cannot keep the computer its going on for yourself)
    • The license can not be transferred to another computer
      (If you try to move a OEM license to another computer, you might not be able to re-activate)
    • You have to provide the user with a OOBE experience where the user gets to create their User Account, ect.
      (To do this you need to use Sysprep or The WAIK)
    • The Product key sticker it comes with has to be placed on the outside of the computer.

Your better off buying a Upgrade version and do Method #2 from Here to Clean install.