which win 7 works with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Andyx, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Andyx macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2011
    I know this is probably an old thread but i was wondering which windows 7 am i supposed to buy to use with bootcamp. I know that it is not possible to use a windows 7 upgrade disk, and i think you cant use a OEM either so can someone link me what i am supposed to buy? Cheapest edition
  2. itsaldwin macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2011
  3. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2010
    Belgium, Europe
    OEM is the same as the retail, only it doesn't come in a fancy box and is the version that comes with a new PC. It'll work just fine, although it isn't completely legal, which means retailers aren't supposed to sell you an OEM-version without a PC to go with it :p
  4. Andyx thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2011
  5. jason221 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2009
    If you have an activation code, you can just download an official full version ISO from the internet, burn it to a DVD, and install from that. My college gave me a free Windows 7 upgrade, but since I have a Mac I needed a full version. I just used the activation code they gave me and downloaded a full ISO from somewhere else and it worked.
  6. Andyx thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2011
    So your saying if I have an upgrade code it works with a full download?
  7. jason221 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2009
    Mine did.
  8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    NewEgg, Amazon, Microcenter, Frys.

McKay is not completely correct.

The OEM license states:
    • You have to build the system it's going on
      (It can't be a pre-built Apple, Dell, ect.)
    • You have to provide support for that system
      (Microsoft provides no support whatsoever)
    • System has to be sold to a third party
      (You cannot keep the computer its going on for yourself)
    • The license can not be transferred to another computer
      (If you try to move a OEM license to another computer, you might not be able to re-activate)
    • You have to provide the user with a OOBE experience where the user gets to create their User Account, ect.
      (To do this you need to use Sysprep or The WAIK)
    • The Product key sticker it comes with has to be placed on the outside of the computer.

Your better off buying a Upgrade version and do Method #2 from Here to Clean install.