which win7 rc build for new mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthdan, Jun 30, 2009.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hello,

just received my macbook pro today, pretty excited.

I need to put windows 7 on this machine and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best RC version to put on.

I actually have a copy of the x86 7100 build but I am under the impression that a 64 bit version would be better. Am I correct in thinking this?

cheers everyone,
    Dan

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The 64 bit version runs well and there is no reason not install it as far as I know

There may be issues with Boot Camp and drivers according to some, but it seems to do just fine under Fusion for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Any RC build will work, one build won't necessarily work better than the other.

4. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

I just installed Windows 7 RC Build 7100 on my new MacBook Pro. Works fine with no problems. Just install drivers as usual from Mac OS X DVD.

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

the 64 bit will work better than the 32 bit just simply due to omtimization. I'd check with the chipset and see what drivers exist for 7 and chose off that

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Get 64 bit! It's fantastic!!!

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, I don't know about "fantastic", but it is better than Vista ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to go for the 7232 RC build (64bit)....it has a bunch of seeders and should be here soon...

cheers,
    Dan

9. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I didn't realize until you said that that Microsoft had killed the downloads.

10. pdater macrumors newbie

I have a new 13" MBPro (2.53 gb processor, 4gb memory) with a 320 WD 7200 rpm HD. Incidentally, this drive (faster and larger than the 250 that came in the machine) draws less current (550 ma vs 700 ma).

The MAC OS installed easily on this drive as did Bootcamp. I needed a 64 bit Windows OS for running Solidworks. While XP-64 did install, none of the MAC Bootcamp drivers did, which I knew would happen.

I successfully installed Windows 7 (build 7100) 64 bit. While the MAC drivers installed properly, the video driver was horrible (slow, jerky). The fix was to go to Nvidia's web site and download their Windows driver for the 9300M video card in the MBP. That worked perfectly.

I do have issues, but they are W-7 related (and are not present if I install W-XP-32). Even at their smallest setting, the desktop icons are too large. I am running a local network at home, and while I can map to my other comouters, W-7 will not map to my Buffalo network storage (rejects the password). Booting in the MAC OS, all network drives are instantly recognized.

If anyone has any suggestions on my issues, please share. Thanks.

11. MBP09 macrumors member

I installed the RC1 and everything was working good except for a few issues:

1. The optical light is always "ON" on the headphone hole only on Win 7 but not Leopard. How do you get rid of that?
    2. Keyboard light would not turn off at the lowest setting. Sound is not as loud as well. I downloaded the latest Realtek audio driver and it's still the same.
    3. 9600m GT is always on. I would like to use 9400m instead since it saves battery.

Hopefully the real version will fix this issues on Windows side. On Mac side, hope the Snow Leopard does.

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I tried installing the 64 bit version but when i restarted the computer to reinstall it has this select CD-ROM prompt that doesnt work because the keyboard doesn't work at that point! I've read you just need to use a microsoft utility to slipstream the install.

32bit doesnt have the issue for some reason, but it runs well!

13. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

I installed Windows 7 RC 7100 64-bit yesterday on my 13" MBP via Bootcamp, and everything runs well. I installed the drivers from the OSX disc. I too cannot control the backlit keyboards brightness, but that isn't a big issue for me. I don't use Windows. I only installed it to see what it was like. It's basically a little nicer than Vista, and it runs better. I don't think it is anywhere near as nice as Leopard, let alone Snow Leopard, which I pre-ordered yesterday for $9.95. I'll keep playing with it, but will probably restore my drive back to OSX only, before too long.