Which Windows 7 Edition is wrong for you???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macrem, Oct 21, 2009.

1. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I got mine yesterday. :)

photo.jpg

5. McShizzel macrumors regular

Pre-ordered during the Summer during the early bird special, Windows 7 Professional

Amazon shipped out mine today.

6. Katyusha macrumors member

I am going to install Ultimate version on my new iMac.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Home Premium would be the right version for me, but I have Ultimate anyway. Even trying to sell it here and on another forum, but no one wants it, to my surprise.

:(

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7 64-bit Home Premium and you're trying to sell it? Talk to me. :D

9. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

2 copies of Professional and will be installing the 64bit versions. Had been using Vista Premium but don't need the "Premium" content and the Professional early bird specials got me both copies of Pro + release day delivery from Amazon (ground sent earlier) for less than one copy of Premium.

The downside is a full (re)install as opposed to upgrade as I am downgrading versions but I am doing some hardware changes at the same time so I am not worried.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Real hilarious.

Home Premium is the best choice for all consumers, unless you're getting a netbook, in which case you aren't even counted as a consumer 'cause you're crazy. So if you fall into the latter category, then 7 Starter will be perfect.

Personally, I'm getting three copies of Home Premium tomorrow. At the special discounted price that was available in the summer, as well.

11. gretafour macrumors regular

I'd love to move on from gritty old XP, but $200???? Good lord. I'll stick with the grit.

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This is overplayed a little. At retail Microsoft have very much simplified their offerings from Vista.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Read again: I'm trying to sell my copy of Ultimate, not Home Premium.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How much?

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

You'll also need Ultimate/Professional if you need to add the PC to a Windows domain. Aside from that, I don't see any major reason to not go with Home Premium.

16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

17. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

The title of this thread cracked me up. So there.

18. macrem thread starter macrumors 65816

macrem

You must be one of those, how do you call, h-u-m-a-n-s.

I'll holding off for the Ultimate Enterprise Premium Edition to make me "beeeh" satisfactorily :D

19. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

Actually there is one MAJOR advantage to Professional and Ultimate over Home Premium that few tech articles mention. That is the fact the Home is limited to 16GB RAM while Pro and Ultimate have limits up to 192GB. For people like me that are POWER users that work with high-end 3D software and not typical users, this is a MUST.

20. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Are you KIDDING ME? Desktop Wallpaper Changeable: No for Starter version? This means if you buy a netbook with windows 7, you can't change the wallpaper?
    Thats just... w t f.

21. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

That's exactly what it means. It also means that you can't change the color or sound schemes, either.

My brother-in-law has been wanting a netbook, so naturally I told him to wait until 7 was released (he's a Mac guy, too, but wants the small thing to take to class, rather than his Macbook). I saw that netbooks come with 7 Starter, and I absolutely couldn't believe the restrictions on it! Reminds me (yet again) why I threw Windows to the curb for good two years ago - now my XP Boot Camp install is relegated to the few occasions that I actually get time to play some of my old Windows games.

22. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

didn't know that. thanks for the info.

23. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I would wait and see which versions are really offered on the netbooks, I would be expecting starter but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dell & co offer some with Home Premium.

I'm not sure why the big deal over the background though, I have XP Pro on my work machine and for some time now I have a generic blue color, no images at all. Also, having installed 7 on my laptop yesterday the generic wallpaper image isn't all that bad and I am not rushing to change it.