Which Windows 7 to buy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maarten64, Apr 21, 2010.

1. maarten64 macrumors newbie

I ordered a new Macbook Pro and I think I'm going to set up a dual boot with Windows 7. Currently I'm using VMWare Fusion for Windows XP but since graphics aren't really supported by VMWare I want to set up a Bootcamp installation on my new Macbook Pro. The main reason is playing games occasionally, so I will be in Windows about once of twice a week. Not that much....

Question: Should I buy the 32 bit of 64 bit version of Windows 7. Keeping the above in mind (games).

BTW: If someone has a totally different idea on how to play games on my mac please feel free to share :)

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely 64-bit, otherwise you're limited to 3GB of RAM. Keep in mind that retail version comes with both, 32-bit and 64-bit, I think

If you're going to play Valve's games, wait for Steam for Mac to come (should be out soon) as then you can play games natively under OS X

5. maarten64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered the 8 GB RAM upgrade so I want to use them all :):)

Actually I just want to play some Red Alert 3 (Also for Mac, I know) and this game looks cool: http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is there a Mac version of Hawx? If you're going to play like once or twice a week as you said, Mac versions are enough but then again, it's not that big fuss to boot into Bootcamp several times a week.

Get the 64-bit Windows (Home Premium should be okay), otherwise you will lose 5GB of your RAM

7. maarten64 thread starter macrumors newbie

No there is not, that's the main reason for setting up bootcamp. I will also setup a VMWare machine so I can switch easliy for work. (Webdeveloper, need to check in windows from time to time).

8. kyleh613 macrumors regular

HAWX actually isn't that terribly good of a game. I know, because I was really looking forward to it before it was released and bought it day 1 despite the average to mediocre reviews it was getting. :(

But yeah, echoing the comments about getting 64bit windows 7, not 32bit. I don't know why someone would say 32bit windows, noah82 was trolling I think.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Check to see which older games you have and see if they run under windows 7 64 bit. A lot of them don't. That will help you decide between 32 bit and 64 bit windows 7.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't you run them in compatibility mode (available in Professional version at least)? My friends have W7 64-bit and they run all games without issues, newer and older ones. Isn't the biggest problem that do they run on Vista/7, not the 32 vs 64 bit?

11. maarten64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys! 64 bit will be it.

I don't have any games now. Except 'Raven Shield' on my mac which is like a 2001 game or so. I know all levels by heart so no real fun in there anymore...

Too bad about HAWX not being as good as it seems.. maybe I should just buy Red Alert 3 for Mac and wait with the whole bootcamp thing.

12. kyleh613 macrumors regular

It sounds like you are really into RTS games, so don't forget Starcraft 2 comes out this year for Mac OS X and Windows.

13. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

My bad...I forgot to ask about memory. You definitely need the 64 bit version then.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The compatibility mode is just running XP in Virtual PC. It is quite slow and I doubt it allows for hardware acceleration.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

The XP compatibility mode is different from XP mode. XP mode, as you say, is running XP in a virtual machine - it's only meant for really crappy, old proprietary apps some companies might have. XP compatibility mode is mostly just telling a program that the operating system is XP or Vista or whatever you choose which may allow it to run. It is generally only needed when a program has OS detection code that doesn't recognize Win7.

OP, just get Home Premium 64-bit. Unless you do something other than games with the RAM, 8 GB is totally excessive. No game will use that much.