Which windows is best Vista or Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiniD3, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

My Daughter is thinking of changing to Mac but wants access to windows for Uni and teaching options

I've had a good read through the "sticky" here, very informative but still have some questions

1. Which Windows program should she load?, and
    2. Would 16GB of ram be advisable? I believe that Parallels can be taxing on ram? (Not sure how much bootcamp would use)

Lastly, any other upgrade advice for someone who is going to run a Mac/Windows machine?
    Forgot to mention, she is looking at the 21" iMac 2.7GHz 8GB Ram due to budget

Regards,
    Gary

2. 1nteresting macrumors member

1nteresting

Windows 7 is the best, but if you can't find it go with Winows 8 and a program called Startisback. 16gb would definitely be advisable for virtual machines. Upgrade it yourself though, don't pay the Apple tax.

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you for the heads-up
    Regards
    Gary

4. dazed macrumors 6502a

I run windows 7 (through Fusion) on my 2011 iMac without any issues. I did load it up with 16gb ram though.

http://www.macsales.com/ is a good place to get ram and is favoured by many on here. They also have installation videos which may come in handy.

I'd avoid Vista at all costs.

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Much appreciated,
    Regards
    Gary

6. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Yes, Vista is a stinker.

8 is going to be redesigned by Microsoft

7 is really stable.

Look for a Windows 7 System Builder version - $90 +/- I got mine at Amazon.

Good luck!

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Vista isn't supported on modern Macs anyway. Stick with 7.

8. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Glad I asked the questions here,

Windows 7 it is then
    ....Gary

9. KPOM macrumors G5

What kind of programs will she need? If it's just Office or similar programs RAM isn't a big consideration. It runs fine in a virtual machine even on a 4GB MacBook Air, though I'd recommend 8GB to reduce page outs.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Forget Vista forever.
    Go w/ Win 7 since a mac is not a touchscreen device, which is the only way I recommend someone getting 8 over 7. Unless you can get 8 for a cheaper price than 7. 7 should also be less taxable on your Mac and require less ram to run through virtualization. Boot camp is superior to virtualization, but is not as comfortable as having both OSes running at the same time of she is going to e running back and forth with the programs. Ram Updates are cheap if you do them yourself. GL

11. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

I would say office for sure, also the son in law runs a business program as well,
    They also have a lot of images but I'm guessing that wont be "on the dark side" :), will be handled with iPhoto
    Tks for the heads-up, I was pushing her for the 8GB after seeing how hard the 21" is to upgrade ram as compared to the 27" which appears easy
    ....Gary

----------

Thinking the 21" is too hard to upgrade ram?
    ....Gary

12. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

If for some reason you only have copies of those two, Windows 8 is the lesser of the two evils. Windows 8 just has an annoying UI but under the hood is incredible. Windows Vista was just bad.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Windows 8 is by far the most stable, fast and feature complete version yet. Just be sure not to use the Metro apps if you're on a PC.

Saying that, there is nothing wrong with 7 either. Just forget Vista, its awful.

14. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thanks Guys,

Did not realise Windose Vista was that bad,
    Appreciate the heads-up, no wonder my laptop transpired
    ....Gary