Which windows is best Vista or Windows 8?

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
My Daughter is thinking of changing to Mac but wants access to windows for Uni and teaching options

I've had a good read through the "sticky" here, very informative but still have some questions

1. Which Windows program should she load?, and
2. Would 16GB of ram be advisable? I believe that Parallels can be taxing on ram? (Not sure how much bootcamp would use)

Lastly, any other upgrade advice for someone who is going to run a Mac/Windows machine?
Forgot to mention, she is looking at the 21" iMac 2.7GHz 8GB Ram due to budget

Regards,
Gary

1nteresting

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Windows 7 is the best, but if you can't find it go with Winows 8 and a program called Startisback. 16gb would definitely be advisable for virtual machines. Upgrade it yourself though, don't pay the Apple tax.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Windows 7 is the best, but if you can't find it go with Winows 8 and a program called Startisback. 16gb would definitely be advisable for virtual machines. Upgrade it yourself though, don't pay the Apple tax.
Thank you for the heads-up
Regards
Gary

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I run windows 7 (through Fusion) on my 2011 iMac without any issues. I did load it up with 16gb ram though.

http://www.macsales.com/ is a good place to get ram and is favoured by many on here. They also have installation videos which may come in handy.

I'd avoid Vista at all costs.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
Yes, Vista is a stinker.

8 is going to be redesigned by Microsoft

7 is really stable.

Look for a Windows 7 System Builder version - $90 +/- I got mine at Amazon.

Good luck!

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Windows 7 it is then
....Gary
What kind of programs will she need? If it's just Office or similar programs RAM isn't a big consideration. It runs fine in a virtual machine even on a 4GB MacBook Air, though I'd recommend 8GB to reduce page outs.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Forget Vista forever.
Go w/ Win 7 since a mac is not a touchscreen device, which is the only way I recommend someone getting 8 over 7. Unless you can get 8 for a cheaper price than 7. 7 should also be less taxable on your Mac and require less ram to run through virtualization. Boot camp is superior to virtualization, but is not as comfortable as having both OSes running at the same time of she is going to e running back and forth with the programs. Ram Updates are cheap if you do them yourself. GL

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
What kind of programs will she need? If it's just Office or similar programs RAM isn't a big consideration. It runs fine in a virtual machine even on a 4GB MacBook Air, though I'd recommend 8GB to reduce page outs.
I would say office for sure, also the son in law runs a business program as well,
They also have a lot of images but I'm guessing that wont be "on the dark side" :), will be handled with iPhoto
Tks for the heads-up, I was pushing her for the 8GB after seeing how hard the 21" is to upgrade ram as compared to the 27" which appears easy
....Gary

----------

Forget Vista forever.
Go w/ Win 7 since a mac is not a touchscreen device, which is the only way I recommend someone getting 8 over 7. Unless you can get 8 for a cheaper price than 7. 7 should also be less taxable on your Mac and require less ram to run through virtualization. Boot camp is superior to virtualization, but is not as comfortable as having both OSes running at the same time of she is going to e running back and forth with the programs. Ram Updates are cheap if you do them yourself. GL
Thinking the 21" is too hard to upgrade ram?
....Gary

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
If for some reason you only have copies of those two, Windows 8 is the lesser of the two evils. Windows 8 just has an annoying UI but under the hood is incredible. Windows Vista was just bad.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Windows 8 is by far the most stable, fast and feature complete version yet. Just be sure not to use the Metro apps if you're on a PC.

Saying that, there is nothing wrong with 7 either. Just forget Vista, its awful.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Thanks Guys,

Did not realise Windose Vista was that bad,
Appreciate the heads-up, no wonder my laptop transpired
....Gary