which windows to run on my i7 macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I would like to run windows on my mac as I have some windows only software, I have looked around for a full genuine version of windows xp home, especially service pack 3, but all I mostly find is OEM versions, would this be safe to install through parallels?

or would I be better off getting the newer windows 7? & if windows 7 which version & 32 or 64 bit?

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

New windows 7 pro 64bit

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I need to get the full version? or can I just get & install the upgrade version? someone on the apple forum suggested I can use the ugrade disc.

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

You can just use the upgrade disk. The process is a bit complex, but it is possible. Google it.

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...t-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Seems like its not complex at all.

Just install, but don't enter the product key and tell it not to automatically validate windows during the setup process. Do these things after it's all been installed. There might be one problem, but a workaround is listed there.

6. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Good luck trying to use an upgrade disk. I had to reinstall several times because winblows wouldnt let me activate. It said "this disk is only for upgrading and is not for a clean install".

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just get the OEM version, costs 99$ for Home Premium. Installs without issues. All you might miss is the fancier package in the retail version

8. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Upgrade Disk. Then when your done installing there is a little registry hack you can use to activate. Works every time.

9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I am in a similar situation aswell.
    Although I already have windows xp installed on my computer.
    What is the best way to go to upgrade to windows 7 "upgrade version of 7" ?

10. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

is the professional version better than the ultimate? I looked at the features side by side & ultimate seems to have it all, & so far from looking a little online, it seems cheaper than the pro version? why is this? when ultimate has all the features windows 7 has to offer? would the pro version run more efficiently?

11. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Uh, Ultimate should be 100$ more than the pro version. I always go with pro versions because ultimate installs a bunch of crap i dont need. Pro would be faster because it has less startup services which take up memory and other stuff. If ultimate is cheaper than get it, if not go pro.

12. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the pro might be better, I definitely do not want bloatware or crapware that will slow things down, I want it to right light & efficiently. The only difference I saw was some extra security measures & multiple language support.

Do you think the 2 extra last things that windows ultimate has to offer worth it? I would actually be willing to pay a little more for a version that runs lighter & more efficiently even if it does not have everything, as I think this is very important, the mac system will be carrying a heavy load as it is running parallels & windows.

13. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Pro should be 50$ cheaper atleast. Ultimate is 219$ for full version. Pro should be cheaper. Where are you buying it from that has pro being more expensive than ultimate?
    Anyways i dont think its worth the extra cash for bit locker or the extra languages. I have no use for either of the two and i doubt you would either.

14. toffa813 macrumors regular

I have the new MBP (see sig) and I went to the bookstore at school today and bought both the 32 and 64 bit versions (EDIT: Ultimate Ed), since I could buy one of each only and I'm giving one to my brother. I think I will mostly use it for some business simulation programs and other programs as needed for school. Which version should I keep for myself?

15. Vylen macrumors 65816