Which Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mary H, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

Hi,

I have Virtual Box installed on my MacBook Pro. I have Windows XP but have not installed it with this system. I used to have it on Parallels however I needed it to run QuickBooks (2012 or 2013, can't remember which) and it crashed or was extremely slow. I haven't needed QuickBooks for a while so never had anything updated. Now I need to install QuickBooks again so I am thinking I should purchase a newer Windows operating system. I'm in Canada and so the Mac QuickBooks doesn't work for us.

Which one would be best to go with 7, 8 or 10. If 10 is recommended does the free upgrade work if I purchase 7 or because I am actually using a Mac is that futile to try.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    Yosemite 10.10.5
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Thanks,
    Mary

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

From Microsoft upgrade site, users with qualified Windows 7 license could still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. And your 2010 MacBook Pro should be able to run Windows 10 happily.
    However, since the most advanced version for desktop user is Windows 10 Pro, buying a Windows 7 Ultimate license is wasting your money. Check Microsoft website to see which version could be upgraded to Windows 10 or Windows 10 Pro, and buy the cheapest one.
    If you are afraid that Windows 10 is too new, you can just buy a Windows 7 license and install it. Your machine could install it without problem.

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. It looks like buying an authentic Windows 7 license may be problematic though :(
    Plus it looks like my current QuickBooks may not be compatible with Windows 10 as well.
    So I may have to see how long I can hang out with XP and QuickBooks. Guess it is now time to see if I can unearth all the software. It is packed in a box somewhere since we have moved :(

4. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yeah, getting Windows 7 now becomes much harder from Microsoft.
    Wish you have best luck. :)

5. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku