Which wine program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bingefeller, May 15, 2014.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm not too sure on which WINE program I should use for Mavericks in order for me to run some Windows programs. I know about Wineskin and Wine Is Not An Emulator. Are these the two main ones or are there others? Which one is the easiest to use?

2. tuthill macrumors member

Crossover

If you have to ask you should probably seriously consider trying Crossover as it simplifies things greatly.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Not free but well worth the cost. Of course the better alternative, IMO, is to just run Windows in a VM such as Parallels as pretty well all your Windows software will work seamlessly.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I had seen Crossover but I don't want to pay as I only want to run 2 Windows programs.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cross-over is the best and easiest to use.

Are you sure your two programs are compatible with Wine. The major issue is that not too many apps are compatible.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Three things are being conflated here--two by you and one by tuthill:
    1. Wine is Not an Emulator—This is the famous recursive acronym that is WINE itself. WINE is not a program. WINE is an opensource set of cloned Windows32 APIs. The APIs represented in the cloned set is a subset of the real Windows32 APIs. As a result, many Windows applications run under WINE, but many others do not. You must check a list of Windows applications that run under WINE.
    2. CrossOver—This is a commercial superset of WINE. Because more cloned Windows APIs are included, more Windows applications will run under CrossOver than under base WINE. The CrossOver website has a very good list of compatible applications.
    3. WineSkin—This is an alternative to WineBottler. It is used to convert Windows applications plus their required support files into double-clickable OS X .app bundles.