Which wireless-N router of these four?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glitch44, Dec 14, 2010.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to decide on a wireless-n router for my father. I have a Dlink DGL-4300 that's been rock solid, but it's neither manufactured anymore nor is it wireless-n.

I just want stability as I, like many of you, are the defacto tech support person for my family and don't want to field lots of calls.

I'm considering:

Apple Airport Extreme
    + ease of use
    - no QoS
    - $$$ cost
    - My father has a PC, not sure how good airport management utility is for PC

ASUS RT-N16
    + can install tomato-USB on it
    + USB ports (not sure if he'd use these)
    - have never owned Asus router
    - stock firmware supposedly horrible, not sure how stable tomato USB is on it.

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
    + comes with DD-WRT installed
    + cost
    - have never owned a Buffalo router

D-Link DIR-655
    + D-Link has treated my right in the past
    + QoS
    - Doesn't support DD-WRT or Tomato

Any thoughts on which one?

2. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

what does he need it for? How many computers or things will be on the network?

I recently purchased a Cisco e2000 for $80 it was one sale from $100 and it works great very stable as just about every brand new router you buy should stable. Very easy to use and set up although I hear Cisco customer support is awful.

My parents are in their 60s and basically only wireless thing they need is for their imac to be wireless. They have 1 computer on it and just about anything works fine for them.

I looked into the Asus and the dlink I just didn't like how it looked or that the attenas are shown.

3. glitch44 thread starter macrumors 65816

He has one computer but he's talking about getting an iPad, hence the wireless-N. Also, he doesn't have a hardware firewall in front of his PC right now, which I keep telling him is absolute insanity.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm not sure the price of the others, but I would get the AEBS via the refurbished store for 129.

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

+1. I've purchased the AEBS and 2 Expresses this way.

I'm not aware of a need for QoS for me and have never looked for it. I believe the PC utility works fine thought it's been a while since I've used it. Once the device is setup you won't touch it again in my experience.