which wireless router to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trevor.resar, Jun 16, 2009.

1. trevor.resar macrumors newbie

I'm currently moving my wireless Linksys "G" router to my Fathers business, and we are going to replace our home router.

We have,

1 iMac
    1 Xbox 360
    1 Dell PC

what would be the best router to replace ours with?

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

3. K3mp macrumors 6502

I vote for airport extreme. It has quality hardware and just like the rest of Apple's products the simplicity is there but if you want customization and more control it is only a click away.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

+1

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I currently use a dual band wireless N linksys router with gigabit ethernet and it works very, very well. sure the AEBS is good too but I have no experience with it.

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I currently use Time Capsule and I like it a lot! Routing works just fine and I have a hard drive to automatically back up to via Time Machine. Besides, it's very cool too. :)

Previously I've had a D-Link DIR-655, and before that, a Linksys. They were pretty good routers in their own right but I upgraded as my needs changed. I got the D-Link because the Linksys only had 802.11g and I wanted Draft N, I got the Time Capsule because I wanted dual-band and a NAS.

One thing that the D-Link and Linksys had over Apple was more flexibility in the way of settings. As someone else already pointed out, on the Linksys you can even run alternative firmware. But in the end, I found I didn't need all that so I don't really miss it. Time Capsule is awesome!

8. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

airport extreme i think is way overrated. id go with surfboard designs.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

10. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Does that ones n revert back to g if another g device hooks up to it?

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Don't know about the DIR D-Link model you posted...but after having multiple D-Link devices fail I will never ever purchase another one of their products.

They're like the Ford Aerostar of products IMHO.

:rolleyes:

12. NaOH123 macrumors newbie

"It has quality hardware and just like the rest of Apple's products"

You mean Atheros/Broadcom chipsets like every other consumer gateway on the market? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I maintained a WDS consisting of 5 base stations, it was utter crap. But for just one its fine, although overpriced. Linksys WRT150N is 40 bucks, draft N, and i've yet to have any of a lot of 4 die. (They take DD-WRT)

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I have a Dlink Wireless N router and a Linksys Wireless G router for two bands of WiFi. The faster one? The Linksys (by a significant amount).

14. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I just got the Time Capsule I love the fact that it's my hard drive also. We have two Macbooks, a couple of iphones and a iPod Touch.

15. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

16. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

My Linksys WRT-54GL crapped out on me, so I bought an Airport Extreme Base Station and never looked back. Great router, but expensive. Haven't had to restart it or touch it once I hooked it up, plus it's got a USB port for external hard drives and printers.