Which wireless router to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skatalite, Dec 4, 2009.

1. skatalite macrumors newbie

My fiance and I are getting a small place together and we're wondering which wireless router would be best for us. We both have new MacBook Pros, so wireless N is something we're thinking; but I keep reading about draft specifications. Some routers say draft, some say draft profile 2.0.

We'll use WiFi for basic Internet things: PS3 gaming, chatting, surfing, connecting to VPN for work, etc. Like I said, we have MacBook Pros and iPod Touches, and we'll never be more than 30 feet away from the router.

We'd like to spend less than $100 if possible. Thanks for any help!

2. skatalite thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the informative reply. :rolleyes:

3. Digitalflick macrumors regular

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You most likely dont need an "n" router.

Unless of course you are sharing tons of files back and forth with each other?

An Airport Express would work for you guys, under $99 new. $80 as a refurb.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB321LL/A?mco=MTA4MjcyODY

You might shop around to find it cheaper...

Target sells a Belkin "g" router for $35 thats Mac ready and pretty dang easy to setup. I would say it would work perfectly. My brother (an idiot) set two of them up, one for him and one for our mom without any problems.

5. skatalite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link and information.

I doubt we'll be sharing any files. As far as getting an N router: I've read that, if you have N capabilities via your computer, you should get an N router to take advantage of the speed/security boost over G. Sure, the ISP might not provide 150 to 300MB/sec download speed, but from what I've read, there's a significant performance boost from G to N.

But thanks for the suggestions! I know people who use the Airport Express. Problem with our setup, though, is that the express will likely be behind either our entertainment center, or our bed. I don't want too much to get in the way of the signal, ya know?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

There's no security boost in n over g (other than obscurity, but that's a weak line of security anyway).

Nonetheless I'd recommend you get a n router - it's newer, more future-proof and so forth.

And if you mainly use Macs in your household, I'd recommend an AirPort Express. It's compatibility with Snow Leopard's Wake-on-Demand is awesome - you can in theory have as many printers on the network as you have USB ports :)

Not to mention the Express has an USB port of it's own.

7. skatalite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you much!

8. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

When I used to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl online on my Wii on a wireless g linksys router it lagged a lot and my character barely moved. My dad has DSL and we use the AirPort Express and the game runs perfectly fine online and his internet connection is slower than my mom's cable. So I would recommend Wireless N if you do any sort of wifi gaming.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Perhaps not, but there's not enough difference in price to justify buying a "g" router over an "n" router. The benefits are there, with very little additional cost.

I second the "n" router.

As for which one to buy, most of them are all more or less alike - some people will tell you they had a bad experience with a Linksys, or a Belkin, or a D-Link, but I think for the most part those are isolated experiences.

I would definitely get one that also supports ethernet linking, in case you decide to add a networked printer or NAS.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

just to add...

I recently had a Buffalo "g" router and Comcast cable, and I easily got 25+ mbps down either wired or wireless.

"n" wasnt necessary...