Which Wirless Router with UPnP - Bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, May 7, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I want to stream music/photos/videos from my computer to my PS3. From what I read my airport extreme does not support UPnP.

I tested it with Medialink. The odd thing is only my video files would show up:confused:. Other people reported problems with Airport Extreme.:eek:

I'm looking for a good wireless router for the money that supports UPnP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will just connect my mbp to the receiver... PS3's media browser is horrible... Especially for large libraries...

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I use Trendnet TEW-631BRP
    it is a great router for a cheap price

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

If you could figure out what ports are being used to send all that stuff out you could forward those ports and not have to buy a new router.

If you don't feel like doing that then I like my D-Link router. Routers are really a personal preference type thing so you are going to get a lot of suggestions.

5. .mark. macrumors 6502

wait, hang on! are you telling me that an airport extreme won't stream to a ps3?! that's rubbish - I was considering upgrading to an extreme in the future as I will be made router-less, but this is bad news. To clarify, I currently stream wirelessly via medialink.

Can anyone confirm or deny this crazy talk?!

6. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

I would also like someone to confirm/deny this issue.
    From what I read somewhere is that since the router does not support UPnP. But I thought thats what medialink did... it's a UPnP plugin or something along that line.

I could get video to show up, but not music or photos. So this makes me think that the router works, but the error was on my end.

Now I can not get the ps3 to even detect medialink...

What router are you using now Mark?

7. .mark. macrumors 6502

hey, I'm using a netgear one that I got free with my internet connection (if your in the UK I'm with Sky).

I'm gona start a new topic addressing this issue as this convo might get lost in hear...

Link to new thread