Which word processor for mbp with lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nychot, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I use word from office 04 on my mac mini with snow leooard. I want to also write on my mbp with lion and be able to open word docs written on 04 and be able to go back And forth between word on the mini and the mbp. So what word compatible word processor can i use on the mbp. Will pages 08 work? Pages 09? Open office? Word 08? I just do basic word, nothing fancy. Page numbers and headers and footers. What do you guys recommend. I dont want office 11.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

all of those will work. check out libre office and see if it is sufficient. I mean, it is free after all....

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

I use Pages from the iWork suite and really like it, and you should be fine using it to work with Microsoft Word documents.

I'd recommend downloading and installing the trial version of iWork to see if it will meet your needs. Try opening and saving documents between Word and Pages, check the formatting and make sure that nothing is getting messed up for example. You can download the trial of iWork '09 from http://www.apple.com/iwork/download-trial/.

Hope that helps, have a great day. :)

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

MS Office or iWork or Open Office. MS would probably most compatible with everyone :)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? Because you don't want the one version of Office that is universally acknowledged as the best version for OS X?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That would make entirely too much sense and would kill half the threads around here wouldn't it? :):)

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I just do basic word, nothing fancy."

You might try "Bean" -- it's absolutely free:
    http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

I believe it will open documents created by Microsoft Word.

I don't know if it can do headers/footers and/or page numbering.

But again, it's free, and for simple needs, works beautifully.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Pages -> Word conversion leaves some very qwerky things.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Cake and eat it too?

Dude... if you want MS Word compatibility for your older documents then you need "Word". iWork, Open Office and all the other pseudo-crap out there will try but won't do it 100% of the time.

I've never seen so many people "fight" the MS doc standard so much and will never understand it. If you want pretty garage sale posters then MS-Office is probably overkill but if you want compatibility with older documents (and the rest of the "real" world) then it's a no-brainer.

10. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Before I bought Office 11, people had told me the same thing about my Word documents created in Open Office and its variants, Libre Office & Neo Office.

Formatting and whatnot will not be what you think it is when using some of these other editors for Word documents. There's also no reason to avoid Office 11. It's the best version of Office ever put out on Windows and OSX.

11. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

There is no reason at all to buy MS Office or even iWork, simply get openoffice.org, its works wonderfully