Which workout app setting for interval training?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by firewood, May 19, 2015.

1. firewood macrumors 604

A question for the runners and fitness types who have their Apple Watch already: What Workout app setting do you use or find best for interval training? (when alternating fast running and slow walking, for instance) Running (outdoor, indoors), Walking, or Other?

I could use another iPhone or Watch app with a chest strap heart rate monitor, but I rather just use the Apple Watch if possible. It seems accurate enough at heart rate measurement, maybe about 6 seconds behind and 1 beat different from the best chest strap HRM I've used.

2. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

You should just try different things. Though in my experience, you might need to try one setting more than once.

I use the Nike+ GPS running app for all my runs (treadmill and outdoor).

I use "Other" on the Apple fitness app for literally everything else with good results. But YMMV depending on what your trying to track.

For example, I use "other" for my pre-run warm up. Which is 5 min of stretching including dynamic stretch and 5 min of walking. Total 10 min. Total calories seem within reason from other measures (chest strap, treadmill monitor, web site calculations, etc).

I also use "Other" for my entire non-run gym days. This includes the warm up mentioned above + 15-20 min walking on treadmill with hills, + 15-30 min weight lifting. Again, total calories seems with in reason.

If your more interested in distance/steps/etc....you will just have to try it.

I had less luck using "indoor walk" but, honestly I didn't stick with it long. Other does the trick for me....I feel.

So to answer your question, if you do a variety of things and don't want to pick multiple workouts, try "other" for your entire workout. If you do a lot of running (even HIIT) you might pick running for that time.

3. nasa25 macrumors 65816