Which would be a better/faster laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cubs, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Cubs macrumors newbie

Since the DDR3 ram costs more to buy, it had me wondering...

Which would be a better overall laptop, a Santa Rosa MBP with 4GB of ram, or a Montevina MBP with 2?

I'm guessing it's the latter, I just wanted your guys's opinions.

Thanks.

2. dimonay macrumors member

If you're looking purely for speed, then obviously the Montevina with DDR3 RAM would be faster.

DDR3 RAM runs at 800MHz right?

3. Cubs thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that's what it is...

So I think I'll wait until the next update.

Thanks for answering :)

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Think about what you're asking. "What will be faster, this generation computer or the next generation computer?". Montevina will be the better overall laptop and the RAM will be upgradable when you can afford it. You'll have to wait for benchmark tests to see how much the difference in RAM affects the speed, but it will only come into play with memory intensive programs and things like video editing.

5. Cubs thread starter macrumors newbie

I was planning to use Bootcamp to play some games on XP, but XP only supports 2GB anyway..

Yeah thinking over it it was a pretty stupid question, I just want to make sure my first Mac is the best it can be :)

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Just to be clear, your new mac will NEVER be the best it can be if you're always looking toward the next revision. It's an incredible machine right now, and it was just updated. Something will always be around the corner, and you could wait forever. Buy when you need/want it.

7. Cubs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, from what I've read here, there have been many "should I wait" threads. The main reason for getting this is that I start college this fall, and what a laptop that will last me all 4 years (that, and I'm getting sick of Windows).

Unless there'll be ANOTHER upgrade between the Summer and fall, I think I'll be getting one when the ones with the Montevina chips come out.

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Whats faster, the 2008 BMW or the 2010 BMW?

You're asking about a real computer against a computer that in no way exists. Montavina is not a released platform, even as a reference, and nobody knows how they will (theoretically) be equip. Perhaps they will come with 4GB RAM standard by then.

9. Cubs thread starter macrumors newbie

Now THAT would be awesome!

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

2010 BMW of course with alot of other better options and new features, better gas milage and looks! ;)

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you don't need now, don't buy now. But any laptop on the market will last for four years if the hardware holds together. In fact, I spent a couple of weeks last semester using a 4-year old computer as my only machine.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't bet on the looks, but the Montevina should perform better or Intel might be in big trouble.

13. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Any MBP is going to last you for 4 years of college. You could get a BTO penryn/SR, or an off the shelf one. The question becomes, as it always does, how long can I wait until the cost-benefit analysis of keeping my current/getting a new computer becomes more favorable toward getting a new computer. I have a BTO PBG4, and it lasted wonderfully for 4 years of college (well, 8 more weeks :)). Nowadays I only use my PB for everyday Apple Mail, Safari, iTunes, Adium, VLC, iCal, etc. I have tried, but it takes too long for video encoding, and other CPU-intensive tasks. So, in 4 years your SR/penryn will be able to do everything that we are doing today, perfectlt, but obviously in 4 years it will not be as good as those computers...