iPad Which would better compliment a 5" screen phone? air or mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Got a Nexus 5 today and absolutely love it. totally ditched my IP4. Have been wanting to go android for my phone for the longest time.

What do you think is the best combo?

5" phone screen + ipad mini retina or 5" phone screen + ipad air?

Im a bit worried that the ipad mini and my new phone might be too close in screen size, cause its technically only a 3" difference. I know one things forsure, I can gaurentee that now that I have a 5" screen on my phone, I will be using it alot more often now and as a result will probably carry my ipad with me less often. Figure the air might be the better compliment to my phone?

Anyone here with 5" screen phones? What ipad do you have?

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If it was me, I'd go for the Air as you have a large screen on your phone. I have an Air and skipped upgrading to the 5S, hoping the rumors about a bigger screen on the 6 are true.

Just out of curiosity, why have you been anxious to go for an Android phone?

4. Misskitty, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what im leaning towards too, the air.

I just dont see value in iphones anymore, it didnt do much for me and honestly i wanted to get out of apples eco system and mix things up a bit. It felt like a dummie phone, and wanted something with more flexibility. Had it for 2 years and i was well overdue for a new phone. Overtime, the 3.5" screen was jist too small for me. Had an android walkman a year ago, which happened to have a 5" screen and liked it a lot. Thats when i knew i wanted an android phone and a phone with a 5" screen. A 5" screen gives you a different experience. Its jist so much better than 4" on ip5.

Plus doesnt hurt that i got the nexus 5 for free on 2 yr term. :)

5. everydayCARD macrumors member

I wouldnt necessarily say that iPhones dont do much. It used to be a great phone to have, back in the days when iphone 4 introduced retina display to the world. The iOS experience overall was great. But now that there's nothing new that the iphone is bringing onto the table and when its hardware specs are less than impressive when compared to other android phones, there is no reason to buy a premium price for something that isnt as premium anymore. I do, however, own an iPad Air, as i believe that Apple's tablets still have an edge over other tablet producers. But if Apple keeps going down the path that its on right now, trying to increase its profit margins by withholding the best hardware from the customers, i am sure that either microsoft, google, or samsung will catch up pretty soon.

To answer your question, I also happen to have a nexus 5 as well and i got an ipad air because i learned that having a nexus 5 takes away the form factor from the ipad mini. I returned my rMini for a refund and got an air, which i take along with me wherever i go.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You have already ditched part of the Apple ecosystem with your phone.

Why not go with a different tablet.

As to which size - very hard to say without knowing what you will do with it and what your personal preferences are. Some people need the mini. Some need a full size. Which are you?

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I have an HTC One (4.7"), and only use its tablet features when nothing else is available. I did use it for a week to check emails, banking, etc, but it's too small to fill in as a tablet. That novelty wore off quickly. ;)

The Air is HUGE compared to a 5" phone, and even the Mini looks gigantic next to the smaller device. I'd say forget about which would compliment your phone, and get the tablet size you'll enjoy most.

8. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Since you abandoned Apple iPhone why not go all the way make yourself a full fledged traitor and get the Nexus Tab 7 or 10. Poor pour soul.

9. hologram macrumors 6502

You should realize that this is completely up to the individual, that everyone is different, right?

Nobody can answer this question for you except yourself. If you take someone's advice and realize later you made a mistake, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

10. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly it! Iphone 4 was THE phone to have 2-3 years ago, but man it seems you cant even go a year anymore without your phone feeling outdated.
    I started to feel this, a year ago but held off cause wanted my contract to expire as im not the type who pays full price for any phone. I usually keep my phones for 3 years before upggrading, so this one only being 2 years is rare for me.

Interesting that you returned your mini for the air. I agree though, i was comparing the sizes of air and mini next to my nexus and man the mini is just not a whole lot bigger than the nexus. Youre right the nexus cuts into the minis usage a bit, whereas the air is a whole lot bigger.

Im leaning more towards the air right now, but man will i ever miss the comfort and size of the mini

----------

Its crossed my mind but unless the nexus 10 impresses me, theres no android tab that even matches ipads today

11. RickTaylor, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Ipad Air: "Why hello, five inch screen phone, what a high resolution you have. You're so portable!"

Retina Mini: "Why hello, five inch screen phone, what a fine colorful screen you have today!"

I'm being both silly and pedantic, but I think you meant complement?

I think the Ipad Air better complements a cell phone, as it has a larger screen. But I still prefer to use an Ipad mini.

----------

The 4:3 aspect ratio and 7.9 inch screen by itself was reason enough for me to choose the Ipad mini over the Nexus 7. In addition, there is better software specifically targeted towards tablets in the Apple ecosystem than on Android.

I have an Android phone because I like 4.7 inch screen, the disparity in software for phones is not as great between the two ecosystems, and besides I don't use as many specialize applications for a phone anyway.

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

If Apple was gonna make a bigger iPhone screen I wouldn't need an ipad!

13. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

If I had a 5" iPhone i'd probably have less desire for the mini.

14. yegon macrumors 68020

A 5" phone still wouldn't run tablet apps though.

Retina Mini pretty much killed any great desire I had for a larger iPhone.

Smallish phone that works one handed, smallish tablet for entertainment purposes that slips into my coat pocket, 15" rMBP for productivity purposes.

I've never had a better setup.

15. DelMac macrumors regular

Your setup is a little different than mine but I totally agree.

16. RickTaylor, Dec 3, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad mini complements a macbook air rather than an iPhone.

People who prefer the iPad Air often say, when I need something more portable, I'd just as soon use my iPhone. People who prefer the iPad mini often say, when I need something bigger, I'd just as soon use my laptop.

17. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I went 5.9" with the HTC one max. Man do I love it. Yea, it's huge, but I spend a lot of time on the internet, and I couldn't be happier. To each his own. Paired with an ipad air.

18. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I spend WAY more time on a tablet than the phone, so that sounds like a good combo to me. ;)

19. Misskitty, Dec 3, 2013

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the love.

Im still going back and fourth and still no clear decision. Tonight was a bit clearer than a week ago but i still cant decide. I lean a bit towards the air, then i lean towards the mini. Right now im leaning more towards the air, it would be cause.

1) the larger screen and 100% gammut.

2) much better value, in my case...its only $112 more tax in to go from the 16GB mini to 32GB air. Bigger screen, more expensive tablet, double the memory for just over $100. Hot deal. Almost too good to pass up if you ask me.

3) I put the mini next to my Nexus 5 and the size difference between the two is marginal. The mini yes gives a better experience but its not not and day like the air does. I put the air next to the nexus and its night and day...cause its exactly double the size.

But then I go back to the mini and I know im going to miss the size of it just because the year that i had the 1st gen mini, it was probably my most favourite on the go device. I cant get rid of the r mini simply because the first one was such a useful device in my lifestyle that i knew i wouldnt give up the 7.9" tab. Size wise, i couldnt find any flaws with it. It was perfection.

If I went with the air, Im going to miss not being able to one hand the air. One handing the mini in portrait like a novel was one of my fav things to do. A lot of times i would want to view a site in a bigger scope so i switch to portrait, I could literally hold the mini for hours and not even notice it. I took this thing to bed with me everyday. I fell asleep with it everyday. It was like a big iphone to me. Well no more typing in portrait on the air, as I find the air too heavy and long for that as the weight isnt well distrubuted cause its soo tall. Typing on the air in portrait is one of the most uncomfortable positions I think.

Also, I found that one handing the air in portrait is noticably heavier and a lot less comfortable as the mini. So at the end of the day, the air is not nearly as versatile for me. If I keep the air, then its viewed in landscape 95% of the time, and typed in landscape 100% of the time. If I keep the mini, then i keep that versatility.

The thing with the mini is that I could hold that thing for hours on end and i wouldnt even notice it cause it was so comfortable and light. Im talking one handing it, standing, portrait, in bed, on the couch, whatever. Well Ive been using the air the past week just like how i used my mini and its not nearly as comfortable. I noticed my hands would get tense at times if i dont change positions. Never had that on the mini ever.

I had the 1st gen mini for a year and it was the perfect size for travelling with. Not once did I say "hey I wish I had a bigger screen", instead i would say "I wish it was retina" The day I switched from ipad 2 to mini was heaven. I swore i would never go back to a 10" tab again. I wanted to take this thing everywhere cause of the size. Not sure how i would feel 6 months down the road with the air. Been taking it out with me for the past week and its pretty good, but still nothing beats the mini. Even though the air has a bigger and better screen, in the hands it still lacks something that the mini had.

I might have to make a chart of the pros and cons of both. Or maybe flip a coin? Right this second im leaning more towards the mini.

20. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

tl;dr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass

21. Total Respray macrumors member

This is why I will not buy an iPad mini - my thinking is why should I buy one just because the iPhone screen is too small? If I need an iPad, I'll go large, but meanwhile I'm sticking with the 4s until an iPhone with a bigger screen comes along.

(Tempting though the 5 inch Android devices are, I'll never switch and gift all my data to Google).

22. mcdj, Dec 3, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't understand. You say you already have both the Air and the Retina Mini...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1679942

How hard could it be to decide which one you like better when you physically have both right in front of you? Most people here don't even have that luxury. You have both and you're asking US?

What are you using this forum for? We can't make every single decision for you. You seem very confused. The forum is littered with redundant posts by you about a very singular, and rather simple choice. Work it out already. You have had waaay more than enough input.

23. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

Aside from the rMBP, I have a very similar set-up. I have a Dell XPS. But the rMBP WILL be bought in the near future.

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have an iPhone 5 i use as a phone, an rMini as my "takeabout" tablet, an Air as my home tablet when I want a bigger screen, a 13" MacBook Air for coding and content creation when in the lounge and "out and about", an iMac for monster stuff, an apple TV for streaming etc.

I have ...... way too many Apple devices :)