Which would last longer for college?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John-boy, Jan 31, 2008.

1. John-boy macrumors newbie

I recently sold my iMac G5 and was wondering which macbook would last longer. I am going to be in college for a while so i need the laptop last all of 6 years or close to it. I am thinking the pro would last longer because of the led screens etc... but it is expensive and probably overkill for what i need. Any ideas would be appreciated. (btw first time posting!)

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

Anything would be better than the Macbook Air. It's underpowered, the RAM is not upgradeable, and it has a non-replaceable battery. Odds are it will not remain useful for 6 years.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

first off welcome!

i personally think that if you were to get the top of the line macbook right now, it would last you a long time (seeing as though you don't drop it, ect...) you are right when you say that the macbook pro might be too much for you. it all depends on what you plan on using it for. if it's just for normal college stuff like internet, and writing papers, and itunes, the macbook will be your best option. if you plan on doing anything highly intensive then look into the pro. as far as longevity, i think any apple computer, if not abused, can last a long time. (much longer than pc's) hope this helps and good luck with your purchase and enjoy whatever you do end up buying!

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Something for the six year haul... MacBook Pro.

It's not overkill. The reason I don't say the MacBook is because it has the 13" screen. It looks cute, but for the long haul, you're going to want a bit of size. I suggest the MBP 15" (any config will due.. you can always upgrade later).

The bottom line... in six years, technology is going to advance and whatever machine you have will need to carry over the time.

Just my $0.02

5. John-boy thread starter macrumors newbie

I think your right about any apple computer lasting a long time with proper care. As far a college goes i am going to pharmacy school and i don't think that entails anything graphically intensive. I could get a refurb pro though i guess ill just wait untill the new pro's come out and the new macbooks in May.

6. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Plus, in six years, if you take care of the Pro, it will look close to new. The MacBook if you get the white one, will discolor and look nasty! Then the black one, if you're up for the black tax, will look greasy in about a month...

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm not sure that the MBP would necessarily last longer than the MB, but it sure is a beautiful machine. And it's more "top of the line", meaning it'll be closer to new in six years anyway. I'd say go for the Pro if you can afford it.

8. goose1873 macrumors member

id go w/ the mb 2.2 white and upgrade as needed...best deal for price

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

I would say MacBook based on my personal experience.

It can take a serious beating, and if you take care of the outside of it (Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to the rescue!) it will look as good as new. It also doesn't dent like the MacBook Pro, which seems to get those from you looking at it the wrong way.

10. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

remember also that the mbp is pretty fragile when compared to the macbook, so if its just going to sit on a desk for 6 years, then go pro by all means, whereas if its going to be constantly moved around, then id probably say go for the macbook!

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

6 years is what you want?

Maybe get the bottom of the line macbook and replace it with another macbook in 3 or 4 years? I think you'll be happier with your computing experience that way. The cheapest MBP approaches the cost of 2 bottom of the line Macbooks so buying 2 macbooks over 6 years is a viable approach financially.

13. priller macrumors regular

I'd buy a macbook now and spend the rest of the money on another one in 3 years time. Even if you spent the extra on the macbook pro might not last you 3 years anyway.

14. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Well, are you talking about physical lasting, or if it will become severely outdated?

Im pretty sure both the MB and MBP will not melt or crumble for the next 6 years, but.. if you are talking technology.. the MBP will remain as "useful" for the next 6 years..

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

If he isn't doing anything too graphically intensive, that is, no gaming, or CAD work, or Blender... anything like that, then either one will be equally useful for 6 years.

The MacBook and MacBook Pro lines are much blurrier than the iBook and PowerBooks ever were. Especially in regard to the processors, the 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo in the MacBook is not significantly slower than the 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo that you can get in the MacBook Pro, certainly not over $1000 slower. And certainly not slow enough that you will be kicking yourself 6 (Six!) years later saying "Damn, really wish I had gotten that extra 400MHz!"

They can both utilize 4GB RAM (the utility of that is debatable, 6 years ago, standard was... maybe 128MB whereas it is probably 1-2GB now. That is an 8-16 fold increase in quantity mind you) and both can use the same hard drives. The only real difference for the OP that I can see would be the screen size, but both can hook up to external monitors.

Plus, the MacBook is just plain tougher than the Pro

16. blahbrah macrumors 6502

Maybe get an MB with a monitor for your desk.
    Personally I know if my lap top could play the latest games I would get 0 work done, so I'm glad I opted out of getting a pro.

17. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

macbook pro.

2.2 you will be fine for 6 years and you will love the screen size much better than a macbook

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What he said.

6 years for a laptop is a LONG TIME. No matter how careful you are, accidents do happen. Also, I think a "MacBook" in 3 years will be faster than the current MBP.