Which would run Lightroom/PS faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whistler222, Dec 17, 2012.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

I have a desktop - mac pro - 2008 quad core, 8 gb of ram. (can't upgrade ram now). 2.8GHz Quad-Core, standard 500GB HD

Another is a macbook pro - 2012 non-retina. the base version. 4gb of ram but can upgrade to 16gb. same standard 500 GB HD

Shooting a Canon 5D mark 2 - about 20 mb RAW image size.

Which would run Lightroom faster? LR used to be seamless on my desktop but as cameras have gotten better, and image files getting bigger, i find lags while switching between photos on my desktop. I wonder if this goes away with the laptop with more ram?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For my rMBP I got 2.7 CPU and 16GB of memory. Those plus SSD lets me import and edit the raw files from my 5DIII into LR without any lag or beach balls. I think I would always get 16GB of memory in any new computer these days. And I would always have an SSD for boot/OS/apps.

Memory for MBP should be fairly inexpensive. And a 256GB SSD would make a nice entry on the holiday wish list.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The MBP due to its newer CPU/Chipset, then add 16GB RAM ($99ish) and a nice SSD ($200ish) and it will be much faster.

If you want a scratch disk for LR, I would recommend a HYBRID 7200RPM Drive or a Fusion drive via external adapter.

You can always change the performance settings in PS to use any allocation of memory you specify to adjust performance as needed.

4. jvpython macrumors 6502

Definitely MacBook Pro. More powerful hardware (even the GPU) plus it is portable and will have better future software support