Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpj8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
I tried to do a search for this, but I didn't find anything.

With all of the issues being reported about the iPhone 3GS, I'm having second thoughts about getting one. I'm coming from Verizon Wireless, and I had the BlackBerry Tour for 2 days. But, it had several hardware problems, so I returned it.

Yes, the 3GS has some additional features, and is faster, but the 3G seems like a really good deal, and it seems to have fewer (at least reported) bugs and issues right now.

I'm leaning towards the 3GS, I like the upgraded storage, and the faster experience, but what do you all think?

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I would just get a 3GS. You won't have any problems with it. Also, just get the most up-to-date product. It's newer and you'll have less regrets.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Short answer: Anyone who wants the 3GS but has doubts should realize they have 30 days to evaluate the iPhone and AT&T service. Yeah there's the activation fees and sometimes a restocking fee, but you should consider that for a 30 day test drive where you're allowed to use it as much as you want, it's pretty reasonable. Take advantage of that trial, and see for yourself if it's worth it.

Now, the long answer:

I upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS, and have not regretted it one bit. The 3GS is actually much more stable for me and I've had a much better overall experience with it than the 3G. It's faster and more responsive, and it hasn't crashed once since I got it.

If you look at this history of this forum, you're going to see that the rep the iPhone is getting is really from a small group of people; some of them have legitimate issues, but quite a few of the others are obsessing over little things.

And so every time there's a release of the iPhone, there's the pattern: new phone comes out... a few days later, the "I returned my..." threads start popping up. The people start obsessing about the battery. Others freak about dropped calls and then starts claiming that the new version is worse than the old. Then you get the "phone vs network" debate. Then you get the people who are exchanging their phones more than half a dozen times because of a smudge/crack/light leak/seam/crotch goblin.

Happens every time. Yet, we've had this go-round three times already, and the iPhone is still selling like hotcakes, with most users believe it or not pretty darned happy. In fact, more iPhone users have been happy with their phones than any other smartphone.

There are always gonna be detractors, and those detractors are going to be vocal. But the truth is, if the iPhone was really a piece of junk for the majority of people, then so many people wouldn't continue to buy it, and so many existing users wouldn't be clamoring to upgrade, year after year. The used models also wouldn't be fetching such high values on the resale market.

So there you go. Not that common sense is common on forums, but I thought I might inject some.

And now, the obsessors and critics can flame away. :)

lpj8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
Wow! Thanks so much for the quick responses! Seems like the 3GS is the going consensus thus far.

I'm definitely going to take advantage of the 30 day trial. I live in a decently urban area (Tampa) and I want to make sure that I get decent reception. If I don't it'll have to go back!

Ironworker808

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Look at it this way...

For $100 more, you are getting twice the processor speed.

Twice the RAM.

Twice the storage. Along with all the other goodies. (Video, MMS eventually, compass, voice control, etc.)

Your plan rate is going to be the same with either phone, so why not spend the extra for the extras?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I say go for 3GS. I've had no issues yet and coming from a 2G I'm completely happy.

3GS = more ram and processing speed and it is very noticeable. I was shocked by how much.

I'd go to an apple or att store if you never had either and try them out.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Short answer: Anyone who wants the 3GS but has doubts should realize they have 30 days to evaluate the iPhone and AT&T service. Yeah there's the activation fees and sometimes a restocking fee, but you should consider that for a 30 day test drive where you're allowed to use it as much as you want, it's pretty reasonable. Take advantage of that trial, and see for yourself if it's worth it.

Now, the long answer:

I upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS, and have not regretted it one bit. The 3GS is actually much more stable for me and I've had a much better overall experience with it than the 3G. It's faster and more responsive, and it hasn't crashed once since I got it.

If you look at this history of this forum, you're going to see that the rep the iPhone is getting is really from a small group of people; some of them have legitimate issues, but quite a few of the others are obsessing over little things.

And so every time there's a release of the iPhone, there's the pattern: new phone comes out... a few days later, the "I returned my..." threads start popping up. The people start obsessing about the battery. Others freak about dropped calls and then starts claiming that the new version is worse than the old. Then you get the "phone vs network" debate. Then you get the people who are exchanging their phones more than half a dozen times because of a smudge/crack/light leak/seam/crotch goblin.

Happens every time. Yet, we've had this go-round three times already, and the iPhone is still selling like hotcakes, with most users believe it or not pretty darned happy. In fact, more iPhone users have been happy with their phones than any other smartphone.

There are always gonna be detractors, and those detractors are going to be vocal. But the truth is, if the iPhone was really a piece of junk for the majority of people, then so many people wouldn't continue to buy it, and so many existing users wouldn't be clamoring to upgrade, year after year. The used models also wouldn't be fetching such high values on the resale market.

So there you go. Not that common sense is common on forums, but I thought I might inject some.

And now, the obsessors and critics can flame away. :)

QFT

Ignore most of the negative you read on these forums. That's the way forums are. Besides, it's not the 3GS, it's mostly OS 3.0 that is probably the issue. Once OS 3.1 comes out, any issues remaining will die down. However, there's always going to be some complainers. Get the 3GS. I would have, but I can't upgrade yet, and when I can the 4G or whatever they call the next model will be out. 3GS: better battery (despite what you hear), better speed, voice recog., video...can't beat that.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The 3GS is the way to go. Switches amazingly fast from portrait to landscape for many apps much faster than previous generations. Camera is an improvement for close shots and better camera focus. Whole phone is just faster with the bumped up processor and RAM. S stands for speed and it doesn't lie.

nkochanowski

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
I completely agree with the other posters - the 3GS is great. I upgraded last week expecting a big boost in speed and performance - the device truly exceeded my expectations. The performance boost is noticeable in Safari as well as overall system speed.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
i have had them all and love the 3GS just as much as the others, i have no problems with mine. Most of the people complaining on these forums just have extreme OCD. GET THE 3GS YOU WILL LOVE IT

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
After getting my 3gs doing anything on the wife's 3g is very painful. Takes so long to load cydia, cycle off and on, and reset from winterboard. Prob not many that have had both will tell you to go with 3g.... well of course the spaz would but look at the source. :rolleyes:

Londonluke

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
2g is where its at..... i dont need a compass to find North. my mind is full enough to entertain myself for the second i wait for a app to change etc.
Its the classic and the one to have in 10 years time when its back in fashion !!

For me i will wait for the next iphone as i thing what it will offer will be a greater leap of technology.

HarrisonB

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
2g is where its at..... i dont need a compass to find North. my mind is full enough to entertain myself for the second i wait for a app to change etc.
Its the classic and the one to have in 10 years time when its back in fashion !!

For me i will wait for the next iphone as i thing what it will offer will be a greater leap of technology.

I upgraded from a 2G to a 3GS. Stop kidding yourself. Trust me man, trust me.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
I have a 3G right now and am very happy with it, but if I were getting a new iPhone I would get the 3G S over the 3G no question.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I just upgraded my Original 2G to a 3GS, it is like night and day the difference in responsiveness. If you are going to go into a 2 year contract, might as well be updated now. The 3G is considerably slower just doing things in general. And the 2G, well I don't need to mention how slow Edge is.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't have an iPhone at the minute but I've been playing with my workmates' iPhone 3G a lot at work, and it hasn't lagged once when I've been using it :confused: My old iPhone 2G was slow all the time, so I don't know what's changed.. could be the efficiency of the 3.0 software I guess.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
3GS hands down. The faster processor, better camera, video are but only some of the advantages. My wife has a 3G and the difference is quite noticable

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Oh and you will love the oleo screen for those stupid fingerprints. Wipes right off on any cloth surface!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.