Which would you buy? New Macbook or MacBook Pro Refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by christophermdia, Sep 28, 2008.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

So my price point for next computer is no more than $17-1800, I refuse to break the $2k barrier. I have been waiting for the new macbooks to show thier specs, but in the meantime have noticed the refurb macbook pros on pples site have gone down to $1699. Any opinions on which is a wiser choice?

Thanks for the comments!

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If you're going to be doing intense graphics work, go for the pro.

If heavy graphics aren't in your future, save your money and go for the regular MacBook.

Either way, I think you should wait to see what's released if you don't need the computer right now.

3. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I think you should wait and see... if the new MB has a dedicated graphics chip, then choose it over the MBP that has been refurbed. cuz then you get the advantage of a faster processor. on the other hand if apple FAILS to do this... i will be super angry, and i guess you will have to go with the refurbed Pro.

But hopefully apple is smart and uses a dedicated GPU. (cuz nowadays computers NEED that type of power)

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i wouldn't hold my breath on that dedicated gpu.

to the OP: definitely wait to see what the next round of updates brings. then decide which suits your needs better.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

They won't use a dedicated GPU IMO. I'd still wait if you don't need it though. The design might be cool.

What exactly do computers need advanced GPUs for? Most serious customers can afford the more expensive systems if they need GPU accelerated rendering, and at any rate, the intel solutions are really quite good. Games I guess.