Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thankins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
High end user - using CAD and SoildWorks in Windows 7. Looking to replace a Dell Precision that is showing its age. Thought about just moving over to Mac since the machine will be used as a media server when not in use in Windows

Would you get the an iMac with the following

i7 Quad Core
16 GBs RAM
2 TB HD + 256 SSD
6970M 2 GB GPU
Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID Array

Or would you look at getting a Mac Pro

Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors
16 GB RAM
2 x 2 TB HDs
1 ATI HD 5780
2 Optical Drives

Also will be attempting to play BF3 on it when time permits :p

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
High end user - using CAD and SoildWorks in Windows 7. Looking to replace a Dell Precision that is showing its age. Thought about just moving over to Mac since the machine will be used as a media server when not in use in Windows

Would you get the an iMac with the following

i7 Quad Core
16 GBs RAM
2 TB HD + 256 SSD
6970M 2 GB GPU
Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID Array

Or would you look at getting a Mac Pro

Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors
16 GB RAM
2 x 2 TB HDs
1 ATI HD 5780
2 Optical Drives

Also will be attempting to play BF3 on it when time permits :p

I'm a Mac user so I'd favor the iMac. However there are some things to look out for. Apple has some proprietary interface to the HDD in the new iMacs so you could run into problems if you wanted to put in your own SSD some day. Since you mention a Thunderbolt RAID Array, perhaps you won't care about that so much. On the surface, two quad cores seems better than one i7, but part of what you are paying for with Apple gear is OS X, build quality, industrial design and best in class customer service. Only you can decide if those are "worth it" and whether now is the "time to switch".

I can say that when I switched my only regret is that I didn't switch sooner.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I'm a Mac user so I'd favor the iMac. However there are some things to look out for. Apple has some proprietary interface to the HDD in the new iMacs so you could run into problems if you wanted to put in your own SSD some day. Since you mention a Thunderbolt RAID Array, perhaps you won't care about that so much. On the surface, two quad cores seems better than one i7, but part of what you are paying for with Apple gear is OS X, build quality, industrial design and best in class customer service. Only you can decide if those are "worth it" and whether now is the "time to switch".

I can say that when I switched my only regret is that I didn't switch sooner.

They are both Macs

thankins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I went with the 6 core MacPro with 16 GBs of RAM and the HD 5870 video card.

Thanks guys - it will be here next week :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.