Which would you choose? Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doc750, Oct 31, 2010.

?

Which would you recommend?

1. Option 1

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Option 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Option 3

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Other (see comment in thread)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Trying to pick up a camera soon. I'll be shooting mostly wedding, family get togethers, etc. Otherwise a camera like this is too big to lug around for daily use. Even on vacation I'd be terrified I would get robbed. So for those occasions I still have a decent point and shoot.

[​IMG]

Option 1:
    Canon EOS 60D 18.0MP Digital SLR with 18-135mm Lens
    Extra 55-250mm Zoom Lens
    DSLR Gadget Bag
    $1413

Option 2:
    Canon 60D 18.0MP Digital SLR (Body only)
    55-250mm Zoom Lens
    $1150

Option 3:
    Wait for better discount pricing to come out on Nikon D7000

2. Expelliarmus macrumors newbie

First of all forget about buying any camera with kit lens. Those are usually of not really good quality, and usually you'd pay less if you bought them separately.
    But really, believe me you don't want a kit lens. Not for weddings not for anything (maybe for some landscapes using the wider end, but definitely not for weddings).

For this kind of photography you will need as much light as possible so prime lenses and 2.8 zoom lenses are your friends. But then again they're considerably more expensive. If you can't afford really good lenses you will have to compromise for something cheaper. And at the same time you'll need camera that can handle lower light conditions. I don't know much about mid-range DSLRs like 60D or D7000 but I know that in high end cameras Nikon cameras are performing much better in low light than Canons. (Guys I don't want to start another neverending argument Canon vs. Nikon so chill).
    I am a Nikon guy and last year I've chosen D700 over 5DMkII for that very reason, low light performance. I don't much care about HD recording and 24MP sensor and Nikon felt better in hand ;)

And in the end it is personal preference that should decide what you should buy. They sure are great cameras. Choice is up to you. I voted for D7000 because that would be mine preference if had to choose between those two.

Here are some literature for you to read before you buy. Read away:

Nikon D7000

Canon EOS 60D

Comparison

Comparison No.2

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

First of all, don't shop at Best Buy. They mark up their photo equipment like no other. I'd order from Adorama or B&H.

Also, the 55-250mm is a terrible range for an APS-C body for the type of shooting you want to do (unless you want to do group shots from 50 feet away). You'd be much better off sticking with the 18-135, or, better yet, going for a 24-70mm/17-55mm f/2.8. Either way, making room in your budget for an external flash will be a good idea, because weddings aren't always going to be brightly lit, and high ISO/large apertures can't do what a flash can.

So, imo:

Flash > Lens > Camera.

Fretting over 60d vs D7000 doesn't make any sense at all. Go with the brand that feels better in your hands/supplies the features that you actually need, not the one that happens to have more bells and whistles for this current round of products.

4. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

There is a deeply embedded notion that kit lenses are lousy. In today's world, that is not so. Both Canon and Nikon's 18-55 lenses are borderline spectacular, hamstrung only by their small and variable max apertures. The nikon 18-55 essentially outperforms the 17-55/2.8 at comparable apertures.

Having said all that, I'd avoid the 60D. Canon crippled it so as to avoid taking sales away from the 7D, and I'd spend less while getting a T2i instead.

Also, you're going to be shooting weddings? I hope you know what you're going to be getting yourself into. This is such a major problem for true professional wedding photographers. Their prices are undercut by every person who thinks that they can shoot weddings if they buy a DSLR and a few lenses while charging bargain rates or better.

You may want to read this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.07.25/fwigtew-and-other-first-wedding-acronymss

If any of these apply to you, take action to fix them.

5. Expelliarmus macrumors newbie

This.
    And this. That's how I made my decision.

But I would make a LOT of research, and I would consider all those bells and whistles in the current range of DSLRs. Reason? I think that you can't be too 'careless' (if you can be careless spending >$1k)deciding which way to go because, the moment you start investing in flashes, lenses and other accessories for particular brand camera is practically the moment you sing up to stay with this brand for a long time, if not for life.

6. toxic macrumors 68000

if you're just doing this casually, get the 60D + 18-135 and 55-250, if not just the 60D + 18-135. or even if you get into photography more, the 60D still has a very high ceiling, you'll just have to look for different lens options depending on what you're doing.

the 60D isn't any more crippled than a 20 or 30D, compared to the Rebel cameras of their time.

if you like Nikon cameras better, then wait for the D7000 prices.