Which would you pick, and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Dec 16, 2007.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am a college student and have an extra class to fill in next semester so I can remain with full time status. So, I have decided that I want to take a foreign language course. I have a few options:

Spanish
    German
    Ancient Greek

Since I don't have a true need for being able to speak another language the choice has been a difficult one, and since taking all three isn't realistic, I thought I would reach into the infinite wisdom that is macrumors and see what you all thought on the subject. Which would you pick? And why?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I would pick Spanish; it's spoken by millions of people all over the world. Or if I was interested in history, I might do Greek.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Well Spanish is clearly the most useful, seeing as >5% of the world's population speak it, but German would be (is) my choice. It's really easy to grasp and it's great fun too.

Greek...i don't know. No experience there.

Surely that would be Ancient Greek?

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My immediate thought would be that Spanish is the most widely spoken of those three languages in the States (and is widely spoken around the world too), so picking that one might be useful.

What are you studying for your main course though – might knowledge of Greek or German be of some benefit to your study?

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm a computer science major, and will be working in the aerospace industry. So, I guess its more for my own enjoyment really.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you don't have a need with your major to take one of the othber ones take spanish since a lot of people in the US speak it, so it would be the most useful of any of them.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That wasn't an option; don't split hairs. :D

As for German being easy, you've just got to love all those compounding nouns.

Gesundheitswiederherstellungszusammenmischungsverhaeltniskundiger...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If Ancient Greek is the option, I'd choose that. Definitely the most interesting.

9. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, it is Ancient Greek. I guess I could have specified that. :) My school offers a "classics" degree and it is from that department...

10. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

I picked German as a foreign language myself, while its considered an easy language, the German grammar is hard to master.
    are these your only options, i think Italian is a wonderful language its really poetic ;)

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Ah... well that makes it much more interesting ;)

Sensible option: Spanish
    Fun option: German
    Romantic option: Ancient Greek

I also know Latin, and with German it gives a good insight into how the modern English language was formed, and what its roots are. 'Old English' and 'Old German' are surprisingly similar.

12. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Hmm Aerospace industry... I'm thinking the Germans are pretty good at that? (They're good at cars anyway), so maybe there's a case for being able to speak their language as part of a future career.

I'm biased though, I studied German myself (forgotten most of it unfortunately), really enjoyed it. Neutrally, Spanish seems an excellent option because it's the most widely spoken of those (AFAIK). Greek doesn't seem an appealing option unless you're into history or something.

13. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am Italian in roots, so this would be my number one choice without hesitation if my school offered it :mad:

Thanks, thats a nice list to have.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nonsense, Greek plays a major part in aerospace: astronaut, cosmonaut, aeronautical, astronomy, gyroscope, cybernetics, astrophysics - think of all those Greek words without which you could hardly study the subject. ;)

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would pick one that will come into use to where you live....I would pick spanish because its something I would use everyday to communicate with people around my way.

German sounds very interesting aswell.

Bless

16. furious macrumors 65816

furious

You will need lube if you choose to do Greek:p

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Spanish would be the most useful. But ancient Greek would be more fun. IMO.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nah. "Lube" is Latin.

19. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Spanish is the most widely-spoken, but German is great fun.

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If you're going to do business I'd do Chinese, but seeing as how that's not an option I'd probably chose Greek or Spanish. Greek because it has influenced much of modern language, and Spanish because it's practical and may make it easier to pick up other Latin-based languages.

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

22. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I would pick a really easy elective. Something that will help the GPA. I had fun taking ballroom dancing with all the honeys!

23. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

My vote is for German. Its grammatical structure isn't very complicated and it is a fun language.

Spanish is a good practical choice though, its one of the mostly widely spoken languages :)