Which Xbox to buy?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm considering buying an Xbox for my boys this Christmas and I want a little 3rd-party advice on which version to buy. I know I need a Jasper chipset and I want at least two controllers. We will use Xbox Live a bit, and I like the idea of a hard drive for saved games, but I already have a TiVo for Netflix streaming.

I'm looking at the following options...

$199 Arcade
+$49 20GB refurb live starter kit w/ 3mos Live Gold

$299 Elite (120GB HD & Lego Batman and Pure)

I was going to save the $50 and spend it on a controller, but I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I will need the extra 100GB. Can anyone share their experience with using the hard drive? Will 20GB fill up quickly with Xbox Live Arcade stuff and saved games?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Just get the Elite, with the 20GB you're pretty much limited to only installing one game onto the drive, which becomes highly tedious re-installing every new game you get, just get a cheap 2nd hand wired controller if you're trying to save some pennies, it's what I did with mine.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
IMHO get the elite, I was in the same position in June and I am glad I got the elite system because overall it's better value.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I appreciate the comments. I'm leaning towards the Elite. I think the boys will like the bundled games too.

You're missing out on way too much getting the basic system....
I'm curious about this comment. What would I be missing out on with a 20GB hard drive and a 3 month Gold membership?

chili

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2009
don't forget, another advantage of the Elite is the HDMI port, totally worth it.

Do you have and HDTV?

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
I appreciate the comments. I'm leaning towards the Elite. I think the boys will like the bundled games too.

I'm curious about this comment. What would I be missing out on with a 20GB hard drive and a 3 month Gold membership?
According to Xbox.com it doesn't come with a headset, a network cable, HD video cables(composite or HDMI), or backwards compatibility.

a 20 gig HD is nothing, and will be filled quickly. One or two arcade games, one or two game installs, patches for your games, a movie, and that thing will be toast.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
According to Xbox.com it doesn't come with a headset, a network cable, HD video cables(composite or HDMI), or backwards compatibility.
The headset comes with the 20GB drive and all consoles only have standard AV cables. Backwards compatibility is a function of the hard drive. So in the end, there is nothing on that list that is different between an arcade + live starter kit vs elite.

On the other side, I get a 3mos Gold membership with the Live starter kit which the elite bundle does not have ($20 value).

a 20 gig HD is nothing, and will be filled quickly. One or two arcade games, one or two game installs, patches for your games, a movie, and that thing will be toast.
Yeah, I think for the $50 difference, the two bundled games and the extra 100GB are worth buying the elite. Now I have to decide if I should buy a Gold membership to go with it.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
don't forget, another advantage of the Elite is the HDMI port, totally worth it.

Do you have and HDTV?
The Arcade has HDMI output also, the only difference with the Elite is the included hard drive and headset, which I was going to buy separately in the Live starter kit.

I have an HDTV with component inputs and have already ordered a Monster component cable for $22 from Amazon.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
The Arcade has HDMI output also, the only difference with the Elite is the included hard drive and headset, which I was going to buy separately in the Live starter kit.

I have an HDTV with component inputs and have already ordered a Monster component cable for $22 from Amazon.
Is there a reason you're going to use a component cable rather than a HDMI cable?

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
yeah the HD is about 14 gigs after system stuff it has the system formated on and than a certain part of it partiotion for orignal xbox games to be played. so yeah better to go for elite

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah. I've had it for a while, but it's a great 57" Sony. Next year I'm planning on a projector with a 120" screen where the HDMI will come in handy. :D
I see no difference when using my Xbox through Component or HDMI on my 46" Bravia, so yea.

I'd go for the Elite. The gap is a lot closer than what it used to be. The Elite was £250 when I bought an Arcade for £115.

maxfan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Which Xbox to buy? A PS3. The total cost of ownership of an Xbox is so much higher than a PS3.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I bought the Elite yesterday. With the free $50 giftcard deal that Walmart has, it was an easy decision.

Now...

play and charge cable or quick charge kit? discuss... :)

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I bought the Elite yesterday. With the free $50 giftcard deal that Walmart has, it was an easy decision.

Now...

play and charge cable or quick charge kit? discuss... :)
I think the play and charge i always use that style when i play ps3 and i think its generally cheaper. also if you use netflix get a remote to.