Which Xbox to buy?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by weldon, Dec 14, 2009.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I'm considering buying an Xbox for my boys this Christmas and I want a little 3rd-party advice on which version to buy. I know I need a Jasper chipset and I want at least two controllers. We will use Xbox Live a bit, and I like the idea of a hard drive for saved games, but I already have a TiVo for Netflix streaming.

I'm looking at the following options...

$199 Arcade
    +$49 20GB refurb live starter kit w/ 3mos Live Gold

$299 Elite (120GB HD & Lego Batman and Pure)

I was going to save the $50 and spend it on a controller, but I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I will need the extra 100GB. Can anyone share their experience with using the hard drive? Will 20GB fill up quickly with Xbox Live Arcade stuff and saved games?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Just get the Elite, with the 20GB you're pretty much limited to only installing one game onto the drive, which becomes highly tedious re-installing every new game you get, just get a cheap 2nd hand wired controller if you're trying to save some pennies, it's what I did with mine.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

IMHO get the elite, I was in the same position in June and I am glad I got the elite system because overall it's better value.

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I would spring for the Elite. You're missing out on way too much getting the basic system....

6. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

I appreciate the comments. I'm leaning towards the Elite. I think the boys will like the bundled games too.

I'm curious about this comment. What would I be missing out on with a 20GB hard drive and a 3 month Gold membership?

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'd say go for the Elite, but for $299 you might as well get a PS3.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh no please don't say that, now all the PS3 fanboys will be in here arguing their case :rolleyes:

9. chili macrumors member

don't forget, another advantage of the Elite is the HDMI port, totally worth it.

Do you have and HDTV?

10. Nuck81 macrumors regular

According to Xbox.com it doesn't come with a headset, a network cable, HD video cables(composite or HDMI), or backwards compatibility.

a 20 gig HD is nothing, and will be filled quickly. One or two arcade games, one or two game installs, patches for your games, a movie, and that thing will be toast.

11. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

The headset comes with the 20GB drive and all consoles only have standard AV cables. Backwards compatibility is a function of the hard drive. So in the end, there is nothing on that list that is different between an arcade + live starter kit vs elite.

On the other side, I get a 3mos Gold membership with the Live starter kit which the elite bundle does not have ($20 value).

Yeah, I think for the $50 difference, the two bundled games and the extra 100GB are worth buying the elite. Now I have to decide if I should buy a Gold membership to go with it.

12. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

The Arcade has HDMI output also, the only difference with the Elite is the included hard drive and headset, which I was going to buy separately in the Live starter kit.

I have an HDTV with component inputs and have already ordered a Monster component cable for $22 from Amazon.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Is there a reason you're going to use a component cable rather than a HDMI cable?

14. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

Yes, a very good reason. As stated above, my HDTV has component inputs. :)

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Haha... I know that. Does that mean that your HDTV does not have HDMI inputs?

16. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

Yeah. I've had it for a while, but it's a great 57" Sony. Next year I'm planning on a projector with a 120" screen where the HDMI will come in handy. :D

17. macfan881 macrumors 68020

yeah the HD is about 14 gigs after system stuff it has the system formated on and than a certain part of it partiotion for orignal xbox games to be played. so yeah better to go for elite

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I see no difference when using my Xbox through Component or HDMI on my 46" Bravia, so yea.

I'd go for the Elite. The gap is a lot closer than what it used to be. The Elite was £250 when I bought an Arcade for £115.

19. maxfan1 macrumors newbie

Which Xbox to buy? A PS3. The total cost of ownership of an Xbox is so much higher than a PS3.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hello MacAddict1985. Still haven't learned from your banning have you? :rolleyes:

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I actually lol'd, (given his new "status").

22. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

I bought the Elite yesterday. With the free $50 giftcard deal that Walmart has, it was an easy decision.

Now...

play and charge cable or quick charge kit? discuss... :)

23. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Congrats man!! Hope you enjoy it.

I don't have a 360, and have no advice personally, but I did find this small thread.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26394013

24. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I think the play and charge i always use that style when i play ps3 and i think its generally cheaper. also if you use netflix get a remote to.

25. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I highly recommend against the play and charge kit. Out of the two I've owned, neither worked. Microsoft says it's a controller problem, yet I've tried it on at least 4 different controllers!