Which year of MacBook PRO for Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tLustej.miCin, Sep 4, 2015.

1. tLustej.miCin, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

tLustej.miCin macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am having a dilema right now. I am now at a stage when I managed to collect some money and I can buy myself a MBP. I need 15 inch screen. Or at least I think I need.

I am a photographer and I use Photoshop a lot. For the future use I will be using it for webdesign and coding. Now only for photography and compositing and some other uses of photoshop. I use Wacom tablet as well.

Now. I watched what brings 2015 MPB and the overall performance is not that huge compared to the 2014 versions. So I figured out I do not need ForceTouch - I really want a physical click response.

So I am thinking of buying a used 2013 version or new/used 2014 version.
    • I am not a gamer but I love some games like Dota2 and CS:GO(both based on Source/Source2 engine I guess).
    • I demand long battery life - well, here both 2013 and 2014 will fullfil my wish
    • I will carry it everywhere
    • I type with all ten fingers - keyboards are the same
    • I want Retina display - both do have it
    • Mainly used for Photoshop, then other Adobe Creative Suite apps - Lightroom, Premier, AfterEffects
    • Do both of them have PCIe based SSD unit? I found out PCIe is faster than SATA.
    I know, kind of a simple request which can be satisfied with both years (2013/2014). But speaking of future - I dont want to buy a new laptop for a long time. So the only reason why I am having this issue might be the graphics. Some of them have 2 graphic units, some have one.

So am I being way too detail-focused or does it make a big difference in Photoshop? I really need smooth zooming. I work with xxx Mb big PSD files. I only know it will run way better than on my current EliteBook 8560w i5, 4Gb, Win10, Samsung SSD.

My friend works in a shop and can reserve me one basic version of MBP 2014 with Intel Iris PRO 5100 (I guess). But used ones are only a bit cheaper so I see no point of saving money. Better have it with all warranty.

So are there some enlightened persons who use on a everyday basis, take their laptop with them everywhere and can say some words if 2013 will suffice or should I go after 2014 version?

2. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Hello...wrong forum!

This is the discussion forum for the Mac Pro, not the MacBook Pro.

You'll have more luck getting an answer to your question here.

Attached Files:

3. tLustej.miCin thread starter macrumors newbie

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. tLustej.miCin thread starter macrumors newbie

Please delete or lock this thread. I am sorry. I did another one where I already recieved some replies. Thank you and once again sorry for wrong section.