While in sleep mode (screen off): WiFi or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamh10, Mar 20, 2009.

1. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

I'm just curious as to if the iPhone stays connected to WiFi while in sleep mode. When I receive my emails overnight, etc. am I getting them from WiFi or 3G?

The reason I ask is because every time I wake my phone from sleep it immediately shows the 3G connection, switching to WiFi seconds later - which leads me to believe it drops the WiFi connection while sleeping.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Yes, the WiFi connection is killed when the phone goes to sleep. There are jailbreak tools to prevent that from happening.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Ever since firmware 2.2, the iPhones have been disconnecting from Wi-Fi networks when not in use. This is quite annoying if you leave it overnight near speakers, because, at least on the iPhone EDGE, e-mail checking will happen over the EDGE network, and will sometimes wake you up with all the GSM interference on the speakers. I have complained a few times about this "feature" and Apple has claimed that it was to save battery life. This should not be how the firmware behaves, especially since most people leave their iPhones to charge overnight, so power is not an issue.

TEG

4. svndmvn Guest

so even if you have an available WiFi servers will push data through edge/3g? It might not be an issue in the US where you have unlimited data plans, it would be kind of messed up around here though..

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Just since 2.2? I could swear that wifi has been disconnecting automatically since I first started using my phone. (This is something I pay a lot of attention to since I'm often streaming audio.) I wonder if this failure to disconnect automatically was the source of power drain issues for some.