While not wearing - is it best to keep it on the charger?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CmdrLaForge, Jun 4, 2015.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

So - I had mine since launch day and I did wear it everyday since. But today I decided to swap it for my trusted Speedmaster.

In total I have now 5 watches that I will wear in rotation - the Apple Watch being one of them . So could be I am not wearing it for the next 2-3 month before I like to use it again.

Now I am wondering - what is the best way to preserve the battery? Keep it on the charger during that time? Put it in power reserve mode? Just let it run down and charge it the next time I want to use it?

So to be clear - it is not about a day or two but more how to keep the device for 2-3 month before using it again?

Thoughts?

LaForge

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I'd recommend charging it up to 40-60% and turn it off. Just avoid that the battery runs completely empty while you're not using it. That wouldn't be healthy for the LI-ION battery if you store the watch for a longer period of time.

3. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks. Sounds like a good idea.
    How can I completely turn off the watch?

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Hold in the side button (Friends Button). You get three options. Power Off, Power Reserve, or Lock Device.

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks. Took me a while do understand that I have to slide it off. Now it is off. Charged at 100%

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm more curious why you want an apple watch it you aren't going to wear it? i can understand leaving it for an evening out or to replace it with another watch for a special day... but to go 2-3 months without wearing it?

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I only get 2 options when I do this. There is no "lock device" option.

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Agreed.

The Apple Watch is a very subpar 'watch'. It's meant to do so much more and integrate with your life. Wearing it once every few months really defeats the purpose of it.

I can understand not wearing the Apple Watch for a weekend out camping, avoiding all technology, but not wearing it for months on end?

9. papbot macrumors 6502

Do you have a passcode set? I believe that would be the "lock" mechanism. It does appear on mine and I do have a passcode.

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

It's going to be hard to not use this watch as a daily now

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

WAY overthinking this. For a day or so doing anything, any which way is fine for li-ion. Long term storage of several weeks or months is the only time you need to worry.

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I've stopped using mine daily. I missed my other watches haha
    The apple watch felt geeky after the novelty wore off
    Granted I have the sport one, but I can't imagine feeling any differently with the SS
    Maybe I'm wrong

13. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Well as I said I do have other watches and it is summer during which I prefer an all metal band. I have the Apple Watch with BSB.