Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Ok, this has never happened in the 2 years I had my 3G. On a call (that kept breaking up) and out of nowhere I hear my grandmothers answering machine come on. Somehow the phone dialed her number! I looked at the phone, my current call was sitting there but I had to end the call to my grandmothers line. Then on the screen another contact was sitting there.

Yesterday on a call. Out of the blue it goes to speakerphone!!! I'm looking at the phone not knowing how this happened and couldn't get it to turn off of speakerphone. Had to end the call. I was pretty upset to say the least.

I needed to call someone about a job interview and had to wait til I got home. No way could I use this phone after these two experiences.

Anyone else have this happen?

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Yes I have. It's a wonky proximity sensor at work. My hope is a software fix is coming. Until then, I try and keep the phone close to my ear during calls. I guess this is a variant of 'hold it correctly'. Seems to work fine with this in mind.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, this has never happened in the 2 years I had my 3G. On a call (that kept breaking up) and out of nowhere I hear my grandmothers answering machine come on. Somehow the phone dialed her number! I looked at the phone, my current call was sitting there but I had to end the call to my grandmothers line. Then on the screen another contact was sitting there.

Yesterday on a call. Out of the blue it goes to speakerphone!!! I'm looking at the phone not knowing how this happened and couldn't get it to turn off of speakerphone. Had to end the call. I was pretty upset to say the least.

I needed to call someone about a job interview and had to wait til I got home. No way could I use this phone after these two experiences.

Anyone else have this happen?

This is a very common problem that needs to be fixed.
The proximity sensor doesn't work correctly.
Go in a dark room and make a call while looking in a mirror. You will see that the screen will light up frequently as it is not sensing your face. What is happening is that your face or cheek is hitting the buttons on the screen.

Just watch-- you will have many many calls go to speakerphone, be put on hold, or even hung up on...

This is a FAR BIGGER issue than the antenna problems and I hope enough people make noise so that Apple fixes this.

rywat

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Don't smash the phone against your face whilst talking on it. Not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.