while waiting for iwork....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeadlinePoet, Apr 23, 2007.

1. DeadlinePoet macrumors newbie

Two questions:

Is iWork 07 absolutely delayed until the release of Leopard?

If so....help. I'm the new associate editor of a small news website (I handle features)---but I freelance, so I need to buy my own software. I'm also COMPLETELY NEW to web production---I liked the idea of iWork, because it seems easy and easy is really what I need.

But.

I can't afford to buy iWork twice, especially if the new version will be coming out soon. Does anyone know of page design freeware that I can use until 07 comes along? I think the pages I need to design are probably pretty simple, but I need to import--or recreate-- a template from my boss' s PC edition of FrontPage. And I need to be able to resize photos and things.

Advice?

Thanks SO much.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I think there might be a 30 day trial of iWork... (not sure though)

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think your question might actually be about iWeb, but I'm not certain.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iWork is like Microsoft Word. It deals with making text documents mainly.

iWeb on the other hand (included as part of iLife) enables you to make simple web sites. Which is it you are after? You give conflicting ideas in your post.

5. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

lets see...

pages is really a layout program with some enhanced word processing features; not the other way around. if you're looking for a good word processor, stick with the "best": M$ office.

keynote, on the other hand, is the best out there. I would rank it way ahead of PowerPoint, in both features and ease of use.

iwork currently includes no spreadsheet program. i expect this to change with iWork '07.

On my G5, office is much faster than iWork, by a long shot. on my intel mini, office is still faster.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pages is a word processor which handles graphics properly -- which naturally makes Word better. :rolleyes:

7. DeadlinePoet thread starter macrumors newbie

layout

Thanks for all your comments. I'm looking for a layout program. My boss said MS Word won't do it, that I need a more dedicated layout program than that. (I'm not sure why Word wouldn't work---I feel like it would work. Does Pages have layout capabilities that Word doesn't?)

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm in the kinda same boat - don't want to waste money on iWork '06 cuz '07 is coming.

So I "obtained" it for now.

10. DeadlinePoet thread starter macrumors newbie

Pagestream?

How about PAgestream? Anyone know about that?

I need to download it within the hour----even to get Pages 06, it will take me an hour just to get to the closest computer store...