Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbo0gie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Hi all, I just ordered my 1st Mac a few days ago and impatiently waiting for it to arrive.. I can't wait! :D got a refurb blackbook with 2.2 ghz/1 gb RAM/160GB for $1049, seemed like a pretty good deal right? anyways, so my question now is, is it worth attending some of the workshops they have at the Apple stores?? if you've been to any, are they helpful at all?! I've been a PC user all my life so this will be my first time using a Mac. I'm in college now and would say I'm pretty computer/tech savvy.. but still wouldn't mind learning some neat tips and tricks! any specific ones you'd recommend? the "Getting started", the "Mac X Leopard" maybe?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Yes!

They are free, and will give you ideas on how to get started on some of the apps to make movies, use garageband, etc.

Also they are a great forum to ask questions about those apps, and it doesn't hurt to feel welcomed to the fold :)

Welcome aboard!

RevolutionOne

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Essex, UK
I used to work in an Apple store and would give workshops all the time.

Workshops are generally quite scheduled in the way that people attending should have no input or questions answered, you just attend and take in what is shown/taught.

Although there was one workshop I would teach where questions were welcomed which was the 'PC to Mac workshop'

If you want more in depth training at your own pace then ask about one to one training in store. It really is worth every penny.

Something else to add, the quality of workshop varies on staff giving them as some don't know a thing they are talking about (its generally scripted) where as with one to one training, its done by creatives who know what they are talking about

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I used to work in an Apple store and would give workshops all the time.

Ditto ;)

Workshops are generally quite scheduled in the way that people attending should have no input or questions answered, you just attend and take in what is shown/taught.

However, if something is not clear you can ask a question about it, and at the end of the class if the person teaching doesn't have another schedule they can answer more Qs.

Remiss63

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
I have attended the regularly scheduled sessions as well as One-to-One sessions. Both are worthwhile. The individual sessions can be extremely helpful if you have particular questions or programs you want to learn about.

Go the workshops. It can't hurt. You'll get familiar with the way things work. Give it some time. It's well worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.