Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Got my iMac earlier today in the UK, and works like an absolute dream...
Other than a very annoying high pitched whining noise which seems to be constant when the cpu is idle.

any ideas on what to do? :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Got my iMac earlier today in the UK, and works like an absolute dream...
Other than a very annoying high pitched whining noise which seems to be constant when the cpu is idle.

any ideas on what to do? :(

I'm going to assume it's the C3 state whine, and not the fan. If so, there are a few things you can do about it, but you'll likely want to Google it. IF it's that noise, I know what you're talking about. It's driven me nuts on Windows PCs and Macs alike.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm going to assume it's the C3 state whine, and not the fan. If so, there are a few things you can do about it, but you'll likely want to Google it. IF it's that noise, I know what you're talking about. It's driven me nuts on Windows PCs and Macs alike.

except with a pc motherboard you can choose to disable it in bios

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
seems to stop when i use the front camera, very strange...

not a permanent solution though :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
except with a pc motherboard you can choose to disable it in bios

Not on a laptop. I have to deal with that damn sound on my Sony Vaio Z, and it drives me potty. There are ways around it, but it's been so long since I played with the ability to fix it that I just try and turn some music up. :D

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Not on a laptop. I have to deal with that damn sound on my Sony Vaio Z, and it drives me potty. There are ways around it, but it's been so long since I played with the ability to fix it that I just try and turn some music up. :D

true, laptop firmware is usually pretty limited... battery life would probably suffer considerably with it off as well

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Back in 2009 I had an iMac with a whining power supply. It actually had a high pitch at different loads. Could this be the cause?

Haha my 10 year old PowerBook does the same thing from its power pack too! When sleeping, silence awake hiss, browsing higher pitch hiss!

To the OP if it's a new machine I would just call apple or something. Mine seems to run completely silently (well I can't hear noise anyway) but nothing to be annoying like my old MacBook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.