Whirring hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dextermorgan, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dextermorgan macrumors member

I've had my 2.4 alum macbook since October. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed a rather loud whirring noise coming from my hard drive. It usually only happens after putting it to sleep a few times. It gets extremely distracting in class.

Anyone have any ideas? I won't be able to get to an apple store for at least two weeks, and I don't want to be without my laptop.

Oh and I thought it might be the fan at first but the fan is usually running at ~2k RPM when it happens.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Your HD may very well be in the process of taking a big steamy crap!
    But seriously I remember seeing a thread similar to this awhile back.. Did you try searching? I didnt find anything just from a quick search but I know I have seen this problem before.
    Hope you get it figured out! and I would back everything up daily until you get it figured out.. (better safe than sorry)

***EDIT, read post #5, it describes your noise. I didnt read the rest of the thread but you might find some help in there but like I said I think your hard drive is on its way out.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=666752&highlight=macbook+hard+drive+noise

***EDIT X2: Yea read that thread, others seem to be confirming its a failing hard drive.. Probably time to contact The Boss! (AKA APPLE :) )

3. dextermorgan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I did a search but missed that. Looks like I'll be making a trip.

Edit: Nice beardie.

4. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

I jsut bought my Macbook yesterday and everytime it awakes from Sleep mode or from being off it will make a suttle screech under the right palm rest. Is this where the hard drive is? And should I be worried?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The HDD is under the left palmrest, as evidenced if you take off the bottom cover. The right side, is the DVD drive checking itself...completely normal.

6. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Everytime it awakes or turns on it checks itself? It's fine with me and isn't too, too annoying, just want to make sure it's nothing serious. Even if it was the hard drive I wouldn't care because i plan to swap it out eventually.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea that drove me crazy at first but I don't even notice it anymore.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The optical drive and HDD are both on the right side of the MBs with the optical drive being nearest the screen. The HDD is on the left side of the 17" MBP.

If you are opening up your MB while it is upside down (to get to the HDD and battery), the battery is on the right side while the HDD is on the left. When you flip it right side up the HDD is on the right and the battery is on the left.

9. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

So are you saying that the people above me aren't right, and that I am hearing the hdd?

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

They probably are right. The optical drive normally makes a sound while waking up, starting up/restarting, opening disk utility, and a few other things. It can be annoying (it varies from machine to machine) but normal.

Open up Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. If it makes the noise you are talking about then it is the optical drive. The optical drive isn't really under the palm rest. It is directly to the right of all of the keys. You do have the Aluminum MB correct?

11. dextermorgan thread starter macrumors member

The HDD is definitely under the left palmrest in the aluminum Macbooks. Take the battery cover off and look.

If I take my Macbook to the Apple store they will clone my hard drive right?

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

His post confused the hell outta me to but I think he's saying if your looking at it upside down or something?

And yea I think Apple would change it out for you but it's a super easy task which you could probably do by yourself.

13. dextermorgan thread starter macrumors member

It is on the left if you turn it upside down, but not on the same side as the super drive. That was the confusing part for me. The hard drive is easily accessible so whatever.

I have everything I need to clone it. Does anyone know if Apple will just send me a hard drive if I call? I can easily replace it myself. I Can't get to an Apple store for a couple of weeks and don't want to have to send it off.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Just try and give them a call man. Im really not to sure.
    Hope you get it taken care of tho!

15. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Lol. On the left while it is upside down. For example.

Flip it right side up how you normally use it and the HDD is on the right side on the same side of the optical drive. Take off the battery door if you'd like and take a look. There are no fans on the bottom right so think about how you are going to get whirring from the battery.

The superdrive is also on the left while upside down (while opening the battery door) and on the right when using the computer normally. It is on the same side as the HDD where the HDD is under the right palmrest and the superdrive is on the right to the right of the keyboard.