Whirring Noise in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CC047, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CC047 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I just picked up my new MBP yestrerday, and so far I am loving it. One thing though...there appears to be a faint whirring or clicking noise coming from the back left corner. It's very soft, but is just barely audible from where I sit. Is anybody else getting this? If it's just a little Rev A quirk, no big deal, but I want to know if I got a bad apple (no pun intended...okay, yes it was). Thanks.

2. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

I'm getting a soft clicking noise coming from the left hander corner too. I was planning on taking it back next time i'm in birmingham to get someone to have a look at it.

3. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hmmm... I really hope not all new MBP's are affected by this clicking noise and it isn't a Rev.A issue of the laptop. Maybe I should cancel my order... :(

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Seems a little hasty since only two people have reported it. The descriptions are a bit ambiguous too - could be separate issues. I'd say hold on to your panties, wait for the MBP, and take it back for a replacement ASAP should you hear the noise. :)

5. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

That's a good one. But how is your new MBP? Does it make any noises? Or is it really silent?
    I've already sent my iMac back because it wasn't silent however almost everybody in this forum tried to convince me iMacs make no noise.
    So, I am kind of afraid now of getting a noisy laptop.... :(

6. donbenjy macrumors 6502

clicking? like how? I can faintly hear a fan whirring back there, but only if I actually put my head to the case! Definitely nothing un-computer like! Can you elaborate on the noise more? Is it all the time, or just randomly? Using the 9600M GT or the 9400M?

7. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

thx for your reaction. At least, now I don't have to worry that much if one of the owners has got a silent new MBP... But I am still very interested in experiences of others...

8. CC047 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I'm listening to it more, I feel like it is the fan. Even with the clicking, the thing is way quieter than my iMac. I'll probably take it in to get it checked out, but 1) I could just be a bit paranoid and over sensitive and 2) it sounds like if there is something wrong, it's at least not affecting all of the new MBPs. If anybody else is getting this noise...or not...drop a line. Ahh...the worries of an early adopter:cool:

9. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

I heard that once or twice, but rebooting fixed the problem.