Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fudzilla claims that they've been hearing whispers that iMac and Mac mini updates could be coming as soon as November 10th. They are not particularly confident about the date which would fall on a Monday.

While we don't place too much confidence in Fudzilla as a rumor source, the information is consistent with circulating expectations of pre-holiday iMac updates. Apple typically issues updates on Tuesdays, but has had an occasional Monday release including the last iMac update on Monday, April 28th.

Article Link: Whispers Suggest a Mid November iMac and Mac Mini Updates

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
So there is some hope that the Mini might see a bump. It wouldn't need much just the same specs the new Alu MB although the the white MB still around I guess that isn't going to happen.

I am essentially waiting on an update as I would dearly love to purchase two of them to replace aging PCs which would also switch their users over and in the long run they would buy further Apple computers. It really is the idea starter mac, especially for those who don't need the world's fastest PC.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Interesting...

And the local Best Try doesn't have any prices out for their display iMacs. They also don't have any of the new notebooks on display and have no stock of them either. Why have Worst Try's sell Apple when they don't have much of anything for them at least in our local store. Will they end up dumping Apple like Circuit *hitty?

They do have the 'old' 17" MBP $700 off and the 'old' 15" MBP at $1599 and $1699.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
A real possibility?

Who hear thinks this is a real possibility? I am seriously considering buying one of these. My wife's old G5 iMac is beginning to act up. I was going to purchase one off Amazon, but if this is a big possibility then I will hold off. Who here thinks that this a very likely event?

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
If they release a new Mac Mini, I might be tempted to purchase my first desktop Mac :D

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well if the Mini doesn't get an update when the iMac does, it pretty much has to be the final sign of it being EOL even if Apple won't publicly admit it.

:( what about the Mac Pros?

Mac Pro has to wait for Intel to ship the Gainestown Core i7 CPU and that is looking more and more like Q1 2009. So maybe announced at Mac World and shipped that quarter.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
I've been looking into an imac for a while now. Once steve jobs mentioned something to the extent of "we're going to use nvidia a lot not" (in reference to the new macbooks) I'm waiting for hopefully a graphics boost to the imacs.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Fudzilla.

Funny name for a site.

Reminds me of Godzilla, or worse, Wasilla.

I was wondering if I was the only one who couldn't get past that.

Seems like apple has gotten themselves on these 'release blast' schedules where they schedule product to be released month after month like clockwork.

Keeps their name in the news and keeps them on people's minds.

Long live fudzilla :/

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
So the big question to me is whether the Macbook signals the death of Firewire across Apple's low end computers. I'm loving the mini I got 6 weeks ago as my main desktop/server, but eventually I want another one for the home theater. FW is still a must, as I have too many current devices that use it.

If the rumored new one (assuming it really exists) retains Firewire, I can afford to wait; I'll upgrade at my leisure and move the current one out to the family room at that time. If FW is gone, then I'll have to make a quick decision on whether to grab an old refurb before they're gone. Might have an unexpected Christmas present for myself in that case! :rolleyes:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Who hear thinks this is a real possibility? I am seriously considering buying one of these. My wife's old G5 iMac is beginning to act up. I was going to purchase one off Amazon, but if this is a big possibility then I will hold off. Who here thinks that this a very likely event?

If they do update them I'd be surprised if it was more than a speed update and the new video. I doubt they are going to be rabidly faster than current models. Not like the advertised jump in MacBook speeds anyway.

I'm hoping for more memory capacity myself. Maybe user swappable hard drives. The aluminum iMacs look to be a huge bear to swap drives in, not like my G5 anyway. I mean they (Apple) must have a whole division to do nothing but figure out new ways to deny owners access to swapping drives. The new MBP's are a whole heck of a lot better! YES!!! Although how's the memory upgrade-ability? Still just as good?

BTW: The Mini flunks on upgrading, a solid 'F' in my book. My old G5 Mini practically took a crow bar to get open!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
But even after all that 'goody bag stuff', it's still just another Dell box of parts. Dell can't touch the integration and 'out of the box' value of an iMac. Not at all... Sorry Mikey!

I agree 100%.....the problem is the average person doesn't understand. They look at price and specs.

Trust me the two biggest problems with the XPS One is 1) It's a Dell 2) It runs Windows :D

I wonder if Apple's quest to keep the iMac super thin is preventing them from putting in Quad Core CPUs?

-Kevin

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So the big question to me is whether the Macbook signals the death of Firewire across Apple's low end computers. I'm loving the mini I got 6 weeks ago as my main desktop/server, but eventually I want another one for the home theater. FW is still a must, as I have too many current devices that use it.

If the rumored new one (assuming it really exists) retains Firewire, I can afford to wait; I'll upgrade at my leisure and move the current one out to the family room at that time. If FW is gone, then I'll have to make a quick decision on whether to grab an old refurb before they're gone. Might have an unexpected Christmas present for myself in that case! :rolleyes:

I think aside from my older Sony video camera that doesn't like to play nice with my Macs, I don't use firewire at all. Are you using it for external drives? I guess that I can't imagine mourning the loss of firewire because I don't use it much, if at all. Last time I did used it was to boot from an external drive and since Apple seems to have fixed that, whatever... Thank God for refurbs, ehh... Might be a scramble though because it sounds like the channel is pretty flushed out of them.

FrenchKheldar

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes ! Please, an nVidia Mac Mini ! I will be probably moving out of the country in 6 months and I feel like I can still get a good value on my white Core2duo iMac (matte screen FTW!). Perfect time to swap it for a Mini which will fit much more easily in my luggage wherever I end up settling down...

I just want the same specs as the low-end Aluminum MB and a decent price on the RAM... although it was fun to pry open the Mini I bought for my parents next year :)

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Several musings seems to have hinted at 17" MacBook Pro, and the MacPro desktop getting attention at MacWorld, after the first of the year.

It would make sense, to generate some Laptop buzz AFTER christmas, while MB and 15 MBP are generating it now, and perhaps iMac and Mac mini joining in.

I would think that MacPro would wait for i7 chipset revisions. Why not wait until 1st quarter for that? MacPro is hardly hurting now.

iMac and Mac Mini... I hope they get updated in November, and the sooner, the better.

iMac probably will get an invisible update. It will probably be physically indistinguishable from the current model, save for perhaps a vent, or a port difference. Maybe a higher resolution screen, or something...

Most of the changes will probably be upping it to equivalent equipment to the new laptops, Nvidia chipsets, and such.

I hope the Mac Mini gets a more thorough overhaul, and perhaps a bit of refreshed emphasis. Hopefully it is very configurable, from quality headless bargain value, to macbook Pro like stats, that can be configured to be more of a serious compact stationary machine, even if it is based on mobile parts. It should stretch upmarket a bit, should one want to pay for it, and hopefully dual-display capable, and hopefully capable of running 8GB of DDR3 someday in the future, if only 4-6GB now, like the MBP. Good hybridSLI graphics, or some sort of video system upgrade would be nice.

And I REALLY hope none of them lose Firewire. That would just be insulting to customers who use firewire equipment. MB losing it was bad enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.