Whistle Phone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Resist, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I just discovered the Whistle Phone app, it's free and seems pretty good. Free unlimited calls within the continental U.S., over Wifi. The down side right now is that the number they give you is randomly generated, which means calls to your number could be long distance for your friends and family. They are supposed to be fixing this soon though. There is also visual and audio ads, small price to pay for free calls. You can pay though to remove the ads in Whistle Phone.

This app is great for times when your cell signal is bad, but you get a strong Wifi signal. Also great for making calls on an iPod Touch or iPhone without a cell contract.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I use Whistle on my Mac, iPad and iPhone to connect to my voip.ms service. Works great!

Your comment about the phone numbers suggest you might want to take a look at voip.ms. It's a fantastic service, very powerful, many options-- maybe too many, as it can be daunting. But I came up the learning curve in a couple of days, and the staff there is very helpful. Great, great sound quality with their premium plans, which are staggeringly cheap. You can pick a phone number just about anywhere for literally pennies per month. Being a generic, standards-based SIP service, you have the choice of a wealth of free and paid clients including Mac and iPhone/iPad apps... including Whistle. Recommended!

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Forgive my ignorance, but why would I want to pay for a SIP account, when Whistle Phone works great on its own?

The issue with their randomly assigned phone numbers is supposed to changed in an update soon. Then we will be able to get local area code numbers with the app.

4. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Whistle Phone now lets you pick a number within your area code!

5. josstark, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

josstark macrumors newbie

Whistle Phone Fee

At least as of 4/11/13 Whistle is asking for $7.99 to change your phone number.

[​IMG]

Just thought to add this as it may be of interest to some.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Unfortunately Whistle Phone isn't free anymore and I've deleted it. It was good while it lasted.