White 2.0GHz MB with External Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by myxzyden, Apr 13, 2007.

1. myxzyden macrumors member

Hello all, This is my first post here.

I read some of the post here and found some conflicting "pledges" by some, so I'd appreciate if anybody can clarify this for me.

I understand that when the MB is connected to an external display, say 20inch, the MB has to be closed as the integrated graphics card is not good enough to support both display at the same time. However I've come across posts that claim they are able to dual display. :confused:

Is this possible? If it is, how?

Thanks first :)

2. SalukiWildcat macrumors member

Well, I'll tell you first hand that you can in fact run a 20" display in mirroring mode, and extended desktop mode. The MacBook will run both displays just fine.

However, the resolution is terrible. You are able to run the two displays at different resolutions (i.e. the macbook at native resolution, and 20 incher at say 1680 x 1050), but it will lag rather badly, as was the case with mine. If you want more screen real estate out of your MacBook, I would suggest that you just use a larger external display, running at it's native resolution.

What would be the purpose of this application? Do you need two displays, or just more workspace in general?

3. myxzyden thread starter macrumors member

Well, I only need one screen running at a time. However to keep my MB lid closed also means that I's have to invest in a keyboard and a mouse. So I'm looking at the possibility of both scenario.

I use my MB mainly for movies, some photo editing and the usual surfing/word processor stuff. I'm eyeing the Samsung 226BW, but not sure if its compatible with Macs. The specs are better than the Dell tht most ppl here reccommended. And it has such high aesthetic value too :)

On a side note: Is there any way to connect a PS2/3 to a monitor with only DVI input?

4. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I have my Macbook (specs in sig) connected to a 19" Gateway widescreen LCD (1440x900) for desktop extension (Two screens showing different things). It works perfectly. I've never run into the aformentioned "lag." I can have Photoshop on the larger, 19" screen, and internet and iTunes on the smaller. I've had WoW running on the smaller, while working in different programs on the bigger monitor. Anyway you slice it, everything runs just fine. It's also really handy. Although, I should mention, that my fans do kick on a bit more often when running a second screen, but it's really not that big of a deal.

And yes, you can connect a PS3 to a DVI monitor by using a HDMI - DVI cable. I got one on monoprice.com for about $10 shipped, and I can confirm it works without a hitch, as long as you have a seperate set of speakers to connect the red/white anoloug stereo RCA cables for sound.

EDIT: Every monitor with a DVI input is "Mac compatible." You don't need to install any software. Just plug in the miniDVI-DVI cable in your Macbook, then connect the external display to that cable with a DVI cable. Voil'a!

Also, if you want visual confirmation, I have a few pics in the "Post your setup" threads in the picture gallery.

5. myxzyden thread starter macrumors member

I believe that it has little problem running 1440x900. But I'm getting a 20inch 1680x1050, which I believe is the limit for MB's graphics card. Maybe I should make a trip down to the Apple store asking for a demo from the guys there.

About the Samsung 206BW is compatibility issue... I've also always thought tht any DVI monitor is Mac Compatible, however on the Samsung website it states that its not Mac compatible. Well it could well meant that they dun support Macs but maybe there are ppl out there using the Samsung without any glitches.. .anyone?

mattcube64... how about PS2?... VGA to DVI cable?

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Where? going to OS support it says that it works with all major OS's. which is obvious because DVI is a standard and is really reliant on the OS.

7. Pjotrs macrumors newbie

I am running my MacBook (C2D) with ACD 23" on 1920x1200 perfectly in dual screen mode. No lag, no problems, so I guess it should work on any.

8. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Sure, there are VGA-DVI cables. You *could* hook a PS2 to a LCD monitor. HOWEVER, it's gonna look like total ass. An LCD, running a non-native res, standard def picture is going to look really crappy. Not reccomended at all.